• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Our modem world...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Should I mention the 300 baud acoustic modem in the cupboard upstairs?
    when I saw the title I started whistling modem tones.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Hmmm...

Just spotted the typo. Rather detracts from the intended thesis. Bloody spellchecker
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

But on that original theme, this is apparently a leading contender for song of the year...

Joe Dolce must be spinning in his grave.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

when I saw the title I started whistling modem tones.
          There's a 28k and a 56k next door, though the 56k got itself struck by a spike caused by lightning & required a trip to Maplin to get some high voltage transistors to repair it. Naturally enough the top never went back on it & it remained there, guts exposed, until I cancelled NTL Hell (Virgin version).

I can't quite get the ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh bong bong bit right when whistling.

Just remembered there's two Amstrad modems out of a PPC512 upstairs, bought from Greenweld about 30 years ago for no discernable reason at this distance in time.
          Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 15 February 2024, 12:06.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

There's a 28k and a 56k next door, though the 56k got itself struck by a spike caused by lightning & required a trip to Maplin to get some high voltage transistors to repair it. Naturally enough the top never went back on it & it remained there, guts exposed, until I cancelled NTL Hell (Virgin version).

I can't quite get the ssssssssshhhhhhhhhhh bong bong bit right when whistling.
            What's Maplin?

I was having a discussion with someone the other day and he pointed out that 20 year olds don't know how to use a telephone with a dial.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

What's Maplin?

I was having a discussion with someone the other day and he pointed out that 20 year olds don't know how to use a telephone with a dial.
              nice try no one is going to believe you are that young! They closed in 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maplin_(retailer)

Comment

nice try no one is going to believe you are that young! They closed in 2018.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maplin_(retailer)
                I was amazed that they actually had something in stock so I could fix the modem.

Nothing sophisticated, just 3 line side transistors.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  But on that original theme, this is apparently a leading contender for song of the year...

Joe Dolce must be spinning in his grave.
                  not bad, sometimes a bit of reggae is good. Song of the year is obviously for swifties

Comment

If Israel were intent on Genocide then they would be finished by now.
                    Not with the West, and especially the US, watching.

How much they're really trying to minimise civilian casualties is debatable.

Comment

Originally posted by woody1 View Post

Not with the West, and especially the US, watching.

How much they're really trying to minimise civilian casualties is debatable.
                      Why? the west is supporting the Ukrainians to the hilt. The Russian mercenaries do commit a bit of Gang rape and chopping up babies like the Hamas scum but its mostly isolated incidents.

Well Iron Dome cost billions and has massively minimised Palestinian civilian casualties. Name another besieged country that has done that.

As suggested if Israel returned fire from the rockets thanks to Hamas' practice of using civilians as human sacrifices the casualty numbers would be horrific.

The Israelis have tanks and fighter bombers they are clearing a country run by a terrorist organisation technically they could just flatten it. Sorry that is exactly what we did with the Falklands, Iraq and Afghanistan what are the US going to say if Israel "bomb the filthy terrorists back to the stone age" lets call it "operation Gaza enduring freedom".

When can you get it into your head that Hamas want to kill every Jew? Israel has tried for peace again & again.

The west need to tell Hamas to do one and the Palestinians to work with Israel for peace. The louder they do, the sooner we will have peace.

Comment

Working...
                      X