• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Gap Between Teams Meetings vol. DCCXXXVII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Gap Between Teams Meetings vol. DCCXXXVII

The Internet may be full of American sports and Taylor Swift today, but luckily there's enough space left on there for other stuff too; like this:
    • His Best Friend Was a 250-Pound Warthog. One Day, It Decided to Kill Him. - Nature, red in tooth and claw: ”By the age of thirty, a time when most people are just beginning to think about their mortality, Austin Riley had already conquered his fear of death. He’d come exceedingly close to dying on multiple occasions, including a few months before his first birthday, when doctors discovered a golf ball–size tumor growing inside his infant skull… So as he sat in a pool of his own blood on a beautiful October evening in 2022, he couldn’t help but acknowledge the morbid absurdity of his current predicament.”
    • In Nome, Where the Muskoxen Roam … Controversially - More trouble with wildlife: ”During his decade as a musher, Worland, 36, had seen Nome’s muskoxen problems increase. He shared the dog lot with his wife and their friends, and about once a week, when muskoxen got too close, he took on the task of keeping the animals away… No one else witnessed what happened, but one of the animals charged him. Worland received a fatal laceration to his femoral artery, and by the time emergency responders arrived, he had bled out.”
    • These fierce, tiny marsupials drop dead after lengthy sex fests – and sometimes become cannibals - ”Antechinuses are perhaps best known for exhibiting semelparity, or ‘suicidal reproduction’… Each year, all antechinus males drop dead at the end of a one to three week breeding season, poisoned by their own raging hormones.” At least they keep it in the family rather than getting us involved
    • Scientists Find Optimal Balance of Data Storage and Time - ”Seventy years after the invention of a data structure called a hash table, theoreticians have found the most efficient possible configuration for it.” Somebody once asserted that the preponderance of hierarchical trees in Microsoft’s systems as compared to the extensive use of hash tables in Apple’s was a manifestation of Conway’s Law, reflecting the different management styles of the two companies
    • The psychological tricks TfL uses to make London's tube feel faster - HT to ladymuck for this interesting look at how TfL deals with those annoying humans who insist on using its services: ”In 2016, in an effort to battle station congestion, staff at Holborn station in central London ran an experiment. Rather than follow the long-entrenched rule that tells Underground passengers to stand on the right side of the escalator, leaving the left for those in a rush to walk up or down, they asked commuters to stand on both sides… But there was a problem: nobody wanted to break tube etiquette.”
    • The ‘Into the Wild’ Bus Was a Pilgrimage Site in the Wilderness. Can It Hold Up in a Museum? - ”The rusty coach where Chris McCandless spent his final days captured the imagination of people all over the world and inspired hundreds of seekers to make dangerous treks to reach it. Now a dedicated team of curators in Alaska have given it new life as a fascinating exhibit—one that tells the story not just of McCandless, but of modern Alaska.” I haven’t seen the film based on his story, but it sounds interesting
    • SR-71 Engine Unstart at 83,000 Feet - ”Osterheld monitored his equipment as they neared their closest point to Murmansk. Just as he was recording that a different Soviet radar had begun following them, all hell broke loose. ‘The airplane yawed to the right so far and so fast, it felt like it was going sideways!’ said Osterheld. The SR-71’s right engine had just experienced an ‘intake unstart.’” There are a few interesting SR-71 Blackbird stories on this site, including this one about an engine causing havoc near Novaya Zemlya
    • Cracking the Code of Linear B - The story of how Michael Ventris, his interest sparked by a chance encounter, decoded the ancient clay tablets of Knossos: ”When Michael Ventris was still a pupil at Stowe School he saw a display of Greek and Minoan art at Burlington House; and by the sort of accident that changes the path of one’s life, was given an impromptu tour by Sir Arthur Evans, who happened also to be visiting. After viewing some tablets, Ventris had to confirm something that he had heard: ‘Did you say the tablets haven’t been deciphered, Sir?’ The challenge was seductive.”
    • Days Of The Year - HT to Halo Jones for this handy site which tells you what you should be celebrating each day: ”Get into the spirit of the day by celebrating, observing, learning and enjoying… The next 24 hours contain a myriad of delightful possibilities to explore!” Today is, among other things, National Clean Out Your Computer Day
    • Here’s What Famous Historical Figures Would Look Like Today - Amazing what you can do with a phone and a few filters: ”Magdalena Vissagio decided she would try to see how famous historical figures would look if they lived in modern times. She uses mobile apps to create these edits, specifically FaceApp and AirBrush, and the results are quite impressive.” Pretty sure I’ve seen Alexander the Great hanging out in some of the many student bars round here

Happy invoicing!

Thanks for the Linear B link, took me right back a few years. I have little time for translating now, will be doing so once retired.
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
      Thanks for the Linear B link, took me right back a few years. I have little time for translating now, will be doing so once retired.
      It's a fascinating story - I didn't expect the Bletchley Park connection, but it makes perfect sense. I was tempted to start ordering some of the books in his reading list at the end until I realised that I've already got one of them, and its been sitting unread on the shelf for several years

Comment

Back in Black. .

There was a better one with AC/DC but I can't find it these days.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

At the risk of "showing my age"

Who remembers the SR71 Blackbird in Top Trump cards?
          (From 70's I guess. No doubt there are multiple re-issues & updates)

I think it was unbeatable for: Cruising/Max Height.
          Possibly Thrust and Speed were up there as well, so to speak.

The Lockheed Galaxy was a big boy... Max Wingspan?

but I think the B52 could beat in on number of engines, given it's two-little-uns in each pod.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

It's a fascinating story - I didn't expect the Bletchley Park connection, but it makes perfect sense. I was tempted to start ordering some of the books in his reading list at the end until I realised that I've already got one of them, and its been sitting unread on the shelf for several years
            Died at 34! That was a real shock to see at the end.

Comment

The TfL one was interesting. Some really clever tricks when dealing with the psychology of people in crowded spaces.

I remember being in my 20's doing softskills type courses with CSC. Being American they were hot on this type of thing at the time. Had a guy give us a talk about dealing with people and stakeholders. Always remember a little ditty about the problem with the new massive skyscrapers in Amurica and how to deal with the number of people trying to get to work in a couple of slow lifts. They'd already implemented different lifts for different groups of floors rather than going to each one but how did they pacify the impatient workers in a morning? Went round the room, couldn't work it out but it was fiendishly simple. Mirrors. The reason there are so many mirrors in and around lifts is people will happily people watch/look at themselves and therefore not focus on the speed of the lifts. Early research found a good proportion of people thought they'd sped the lifts up and felt much happier with the journey just because they had mirrors to detract from the trip. Genius.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

That's Warthogs off my pet buying list then.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

This guy used to fly the SR-71 and has some great stories, here's one of them
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

And this is Walter:

When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                    X