• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I need to lose money on the stock market asap!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to lose money on the stock market asap!

Random, but I need to lose some money in a Junior ISA (stocks and shares with Hargreaves Lansdown) asap.

Current value is ~£8,100. I could do with getting it down to £7,500 and then liquidating to cash.

I’m usually pretty good at losing money on the stock market when i’m not trying to, but now that i need to … the market is going up!

Any hot tips for some sure-fire losers?

I won’t go into the finer details of why i need to lose the money, but it seems you cannot withdraw cash from a JISA (unless the child is dead!), and I need to get below a legal aid threshold.

Well, duh, ask scootie.

Comment

Just keep buying and selling the same share. Shouldn't take long for commissions + stamp duty to gobble up £600.

Comment

MGN buy quick and sell before close!
        Former IPSE member
        My Website

Comment

You could buy some put options.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Buy and then immediately sell a stock (eg. small cap, AIM) with a big bid-ask spread.

Comment

Why do you need to lose money, wouldn't be cheaper to pay some extra tax?
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                Why do you need to lose money, wouldn't be cheaper to pay some extra tax?
                Legal Aid is means tested and your child's assets are included. The Junior ISA's holdings would be most of the allowance even though the parents can't touch them.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/civil-le...oss%20monthly% 20income,child%20and%20each%20further%20child.

Joe Pesci says it best NSFW...

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Legal aid rules are a joke.

I want the finer details!

Can't you just do an absurd out of the money call/put to expire today? Like Microsoft to double in price by COP.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post
                    Can't you just do an absurd out of the money call/put to expire today? Like Microsoft to double in price by COP.
                    Can you do derivatives like options in an ISA?

Comment

Working...
                    X