• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gaza blockaded

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaza blockaded

Israelis close Gaza. Oh sh1t this is going to be horrible.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ish-state.html

Israel orders 'complete siege' of Gaza, cutting off food and electricity, and prepares for massive ground offensive 'within 48 hours' in response to Jewish state's 'worst day in history'
    • More than 700 Israeli troops and civilians were shot dead or killed in Hamas' surprise rocket attacks Saturday
    • Israel responded by launching crippling airstrikes on Gaza Strip and ordering a total blockade of the region
    I sympathise with Israel but this won't help.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

The Palestinians are also victims of Hamas sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
      The Palestinians are also victims of Hamas sadly.
      Polls show hamas has 60-70% support in gaza and 40-50% in West Bank.

Settlements are illegal and should be stopped. Beyond that I'm not really sure what Israel can do. They have a gun pointed at Palestine's head, a state that still calls for the genocide of Jews. Asking Israel to put down their gun is asking them to take an existential risk.

I don't think we can ignore that gaza shares a border with Eygpt, Muslim country, they heavily guard their border because they don't trust them either.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

Polls show hamas has 60-70% support in gaza and 40-50% in West Bank.

Settlements are illegal and should be stopped. Beyond that I'm not really sure what Israel can do. They have a gun pointed at Palestine's head, a state that still calls for the genocide of Jews. Asking Israel to put down their gun is asking them to take an existential risk.

I don't think we can ignore that gaza shares a border with Eygpt, Muslim country, they heavily guard their border because they don't trust them either.

Israel pulled fully out of Gaza years ago including settlements. But as you say still control elements of control such as sea/air access.
        But as you say Egypt also fully blocks off access to Gaza for whatever reason.
        Essentially much of the Muslim world sees Hamas as extremists - their constitution is to kill jews and wipe out Israel. Which is why they are funded by Iran.
        So if you had a neighbour that wanted you dead it is always difficult to have peace. The whole situation is heartbreaking.
        and as much so for the Palestinians in Gaza who want peace.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post

Israel pulled fully out of Gaza years ago including settlements. But as you say still control elements of control such as sea/air access.
          But as you say Egypt also fully blocks off access to Gaza for whatever reason.
          Essentially much of the Muslim world sees Hamas as extremists - their constitution is to kill jews and wipe out Israel. Which is why they are funded by Iran.
          So if you had a neighbour that wanted you dead it is always difficult to have peace. The whole situation is heartbreaking.
          and as much so for the Palestinians in Gaza who want peace.
          That was back around 2005~ with Bush and Camp David. There was genuine hope that peace was on the horizon. Then Hamas did a coup in gaza, then came the rockets and Israel went all in at fortifying the border.

I genuinely don't know the way out of it. I can't fault Israel for not wanting to give their neighbours a 4th attempt to wipe them out. Especially as its not just "we want your land/resources" it's "we want you all dead".

Comment

Especially as its not just "we want your land/resources"
            Sorry - whose land? Perhaps I misunderstood what you're saying?

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
              Sorry - whose land? Perhaps I misunderstood what you're saying?
              Israeli land.

Take Russia, they want Ukraine for its land, it doesn't really care for or against Ukrainians beyond their impact on their desire for the land.

Palestinians, on the whole, don't just want the land, they want to exterminate all Jews. In comparison they would tolerate Christians living among them, with some "control".

Comment

Israeli land.

Take Russia, they want Ukraine for its land, it doesn't really care for or against Ukrainians beyond their impact on their desire for the land.

Palestinians, on the whole, don't just want the land, they want to exterminate all Jews. In comparison they would tolerate Christians living among them, with some "control".
                Which Israeli land? The 55% of Palestine they were given under Partition in 1947? Or the remainder that they have occupied and settled since 1967?

Comment

Which Israeli land? The 55% of Palestine they were given under Partition in 1947? Or the remainder that they have occupied and settled since 1967?

The partition never occurred and was not accepted by Palestine or the invading Arab armies of the 1948 war. They would have been better off accepting it rather than attempting to destroy Israel.
                  Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Cute.

"From river to the sea"

Notice the lack of mention of any border with Israel, almost like they don't invisage an Israel in their plans.

Comment

Working...
                    X