• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gaza blockaded

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Another specious argument. There are roughly 2.4bn Christian followers and 2.0 billion Islamic, in the broadest sense of the terms. The problem is the million or so fanatics who find justification in Qur'an and who have been brought up to believe in its most extreme remedies.

However they justify themselves, from ISIS to the IRA, at bottom they are simply terrorists with zero justification for their deeds.
    In your opinion.

Theirs may differ.
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

The nocturnal journey (al-lsra'wal Mi'raj), Muhammad was transported one night on a winged horse from Mecca to Jerusalem where he led Abraham, Moses, and Jesus in prayer. Afterwards, Muhammad ascended to heaven (the Moon) on a winged horse accompanied by the archangel Gabriel.
      Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

In your opinion.

Theirs may differ.
      Theirs may. I suspect most if not all sensible people would agree with me.

Or is murdering babies OK because Herod did it?
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Theirs may. I suspect most if not all sensible people would agree with me.

Or is murdering babies OK because Herod did it?
        Very emotive. Interesting that you assume that "sensible people" as you call them would side with your opinion.
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
          Smells like false equivalency. Find me a practising Muslim that doesn't believe the koran is the literal word of God, a perfect copy of the "mother of books" (this gets extremely bizarre when you consider its concept of abrogation), you'll be hard pressed. You'd be hard pressed to select Christians at random that believe the Bible is the literal word of God, especially in the UK. You're applying fringe branches of Christianity and equating that with the universalism of Muslims believing the koran to be the infallible word of God.
          Smells like you don't want to consider the possibility that some Christians have very strong views and some have very moderate views. Some Muslims have very strong views and some have very moderate views.

If someone suggests the majority of Muslims (over 80%) believe in the 5 pillars of Islam, you will turn round and claim they are not a true Muslim, because that doesn't fit your belief system.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Find me a practising Muslim that doesn't believe the koran is the literal word of God, a perfect copy of the "mother of books" (this gets extremely bizarre when you consider its concept of abrogation), you'll be hard pressed.
            Its more nuanced than that. The verses themselves are infallible, but human interpretation of them is very fallible, this and the Hadith is what Islamic Scholarship is about, just like Christian Theology.
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Very emotive. Interesting that you assume that "sensible people" as you call them would side with your opinion.
              That the deliberate mass killing of innocents just for being different to you is an acceptable way of promoting your particular faith, or downgrading theirs, and justifying it by saying someone told me that was what God said?

It's an interesting definition of "sensible".

But not one I'm going to endorse.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

That the deliberate mass killing of innocents just for being different to you is an acceptable way of promoting your particular faith, or downgrading theirs, and justifying it by saying someone told me that was what God said?

It's an interesting definition of "sensible".

But not one I'm going to endorse.
                Whose slaughter are you castigating? That of the Israelies or the Palestinians? I'm assuming that this is to what you're alluding given your mention of babies.

Unfortunately, innocents have died since the dawn of man.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                  Smells like you don't want to consider the possibility that some Christians have very strong views and some have very moderate views. Some Muslims have very strong views and some have very moderate views.

If someone suggests the majority of Muslims (over 80%) believe in the 5 pillars of Islam, you will turn round and claim they are not a true Muslim, because that doesn't fit your belief system.
                  I'm struggling to understand your point. The occurrence of serious backlash from either group in the UK is bias towards Muslims; making mothers of autistic children apologise on TV for dropping / damaging the koran for instance. The entire "bUt ChRIsTiAnS" whenever there's some deprived action by Islamists is extremely tiresome. You've rebutted non of my points, so do you accept them, that the belief of the Bible being the word of God is fringe, meanwhile in Islam it's THE prevailing belief - a direct contradiction of your earlier suggestion?

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                  Its more nuanced than that. The verses themselves are infallible, but human interpretation of them is very fallible, this and the Hadith is what Islamic Scholarship is about, just like Christian Theology.
                  Unsure if you're an apologist or believe the prevailing argument in this thread that scripture, regardless of how troublesome it is, is of no concern. There are schools of jurisprudence in Islam, not too dissimilar to Catholicism, interpretation is guided by these institutes. The amusing thing is the fanaticism of all schools of jurisprudence even as they have mellowed over the centuries. The Hadith is fallible an in no way comparable to the koran; suggesting as much would be a sin, the koran is considered by Islamic scholars, so I don't know what your point is unless you're merely redundantly stating the Hadith is more like a journal ala the Bible.

Many passages in the koran can only be interpreted one way. The danger is that it's a spiritual and legal framework so has dramatic societal consequences given its infallibility, overriding any man made law.

I'm always amazed that "When someone shows you who they are, believe them" is dismissed when it comes to Islamists and the motivations for their actions.
                  Last edited by TheGreenBastard; 30 October 2023, 14:13.

Comment

I'm struggling to understand your point. The occurrence of serious backlash from either group in the UK is bias towards Muslims; making mothers of autistic children apologise on TV for dropping / damaging the koran for instance. The entire "bUt ChRIsTiAnS" whenever there's some deprived action by Islamists is extremely tiresome. You've rebutted non of my points, so do you accept them, that the belief of the Bible being the word of God is fringe, meanwhile in Islam it's THE prevailing belief - a direct contradiction of your earlier assertion?
                    You're an idiot.
                    How's that for rebutting your comments? I do not accept your points as being correct, because they are idiotically wrong.

My post was in reply to JKS, someone who is clearly as clueless about Christian beliefs as yourself. I didn't mention Islam in my post, I was talking about "Christians" in Northern Ireland.

Most Christians believe the Bible is the word of God. It's not a "fringe" group of a handful of people globally. It's part of Christianity. 2 Tim 3:16.

But if you're wanting to talk about Islam, do you know the difference between the 5 pillars of Islam (as practiced by Sunni) and the 7 pillars of Islam (Shia)?

…Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

You're an idiot.
                      How's that for rebutting your comments? I do not accept your points as being correct, because they are idiotically wrong.

My post was in reply to JKS, someone who is clearly as clueless about Christian beliefs as yourself. I didn't mention Islam in my post, I was talking about "Christians" in Northern Ireland.

Most Christians believe the Bible is the word of God. It's not a "fringe" group of a handful of people globally. It's part of Christianity. 2 Tim 3:16.

But if you're wanting to talk about Islam, do you know the difference between the 5 pillars of Islam (as practiced by Sunni) and the 7 pillars of Islam (Shia)?
                      Aah I forgot you're a simpleton, "most Christians believe the Bible is the word of God" - odd, even the Christian Yanks who believe the Bible is the literal word of God are a minority in the US. If the crux of your argument predicates on falsehoods there's not much else to discuss.

Comment

Working...
                      X