• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vets bills

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vets bills

Now being investigated by the Competition and Markets Authority.

https://news.sky.com/story/competiti...ustry-12956298

Over the past few years we've noticed bills have been going up, and increasingly Vets seem to be pushing treatment, tests etc.

Many Veterinary practices have sold out to corporates, venture capitalists. That's certainly true in our area. There are very few independents left.

We've read quite a few posts from Vets on forums that they are being pressured to upsell. Some even have targets, and part of their remuneration is a bonus based on revenue generation, prescribing drugs etc.

I noticed that the share price of the corporate, which owns our local Vets, took a nose dive on the news of the CMA probe.

This is anecdotal but we've switched from the corporate-owned Vets to an independent and prices are significant lower for vaccinations, routine procedures etc. For example, the cost of a consultation is £40 versus £60 with the old Vets.

We used this website to find independents in our area.

http://www.independentvets.co.uk

BTW, I should add that it's not the cost of treatment that worries us the most. It's the thought that you may not be able to trust Vets to act in the best interests of your animals.

Comment

Originally posted by woody1 View Post
      BTW, I should add that it's not the cost of treatment that worries us the most. It's the thought that you may not be able to trust Vets to act in the best interests of your animals.
      Yup!
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Same is happening in America, and presumably other places too. Mars, the chocolate guys, have purchased about 2500 clinics.

Youngsters unable to afford a home/children turning to pets as 'furbabies', willing to spend more than owners used to. Also making it more of a recession proof industry. Extremely difficult to assess quality. Surprised it took them so long.

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post
          Same is happening in America, and presumably other places too. Mars, the chocolate guys, have purchased about 2500 clinics.

Youngsters unable to afford a home/children turning to pets as 'furbabies', willing to spend more than owners used to. Also making it more of a recession proof industry. Extremely difficult to assess quality. Surprised it took them so long.
          little known fact. Mars own pedigree pet foods (as in Pedigree Chum).
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

My little puppet parrot is cheap to maintain. When his beak squawky thing broke I replaced it with a plastic bag.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by JustKeepSwimming View Post

So recession proof animal rehoming charities are full so unwanted pets are now being dumped.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The local corporate-owned Vets has now started texting online surveys after appointments. Judging by the number the text came from and the survey website, and the fact that they are offering a £200 prize, I doubt the Vets set this up themselves.

I suppose it could be just a coincidence that this comes just after the CMA announced it was carrying out an investigation.

Comment

Try getting a vet to look at a dog with brucella canis.
                  When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

So recession proof animal rehoming charities are full so unwanted pets are now being dumped.
                    What impact does that have on vets? If anything the vets make more money because charities will pay for care. The owners who dump pets like that wouldn't/couldn't afford suitable vet care anyway.

Recession proof doesn't mean things are still great in a recession, it just means when there is a recession the business is unlikely to go under because their product/service is a 'necessity'.

Utilities are recession proof, their profits might go down as people cut back on electricity and gas, but there will be enough demand to sustain the company.

Comment

Working...
                    X