• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Big car recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big car recommendations

No... not a parody thread.....

I'm just about to get slammed with the new ULEZ charge, and have given up on the idea of a small fun car to shuttle the boy back and forward across London to school. I want to replace my Ford Galaxy with something newer.

1) Must meet ULEZ restrictions
    2) Must have at least 3 full size passenger seats in the back (I have 3 full size kids 16, 13 and 10).
    3) Must have a decent engine. A fully loaded car with 5 passengers and luggage feels completely gutless with a 150bhp engine.

Any other recommended options beyond S-MAX and Galaxy?
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

ULEZ compliant is surprisingly easy to achieve. My 04 350z is compliant, for example.

One key thing you've omitted is your budget and whether you're selling / px'ing your Galaxy to help fund it.

Friend of mine swears by her Chelsea tractor (Range Rover) and has fitted in three boys in the back with no fuss.
    Last edited by ladymuck; 29 August 2023, 11:56.

Comment

Land Rover Discovery 3.0D HSE Lux - if you can stretch to it go for a later model engine.
      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
        Land Rover Discovery 3.0D HSE Lux - if you can stretch to it go for a later model engine.
        The later Discovery 4s are great if you can find a good one.
        HSE is a 7 seater. The 3.0L engine is sufficient (get it chipped anyway). Get all season tyres fitted (better still some A/T ones) for a go pretty much anywhere vehicle that's completely unsuited to London driving.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Future proof. Get a recent Lexus 350 hybrid. Equally two mates have the big Mitsubishi PHEV and both loves them.

Utterly pointless looking at diesels, they'll be taxed out of existence before much longer. Big petrol engines in London will do about 5 mpg in reality. At least a hybrid will save the charges and plug in EVs for your sort of driving won't use petrol anyway.

And you get to wear a big smug grin by being as green as your idiot mayor! (In fact greener, given he uses an armoured Range Rover...)
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Newer Galaxy probably a good move.
            Discovery has been covered - good idea
            Have a look at the Mercedes GLE/GLS series too
            After that I think you might be into van territory Ford Torneo Custom/VW Transporter etc
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
              No... not a parody thread.....

I'm just about to get slammed with the new ULEZ charge, and have given up on the idea of a small fun car to shuttle the boy back and forward across London to school. I want to replace my Ford Galaxy with something newer.

1) Must meet ULEZ restrictions
              2) Must have at least 3 full size passenger seats in the back (I have 3 full size kids 16, 13 and 10).
              3) Must have a decent engine. A fully loaded car with 5 passengers and luggage feels completely gutless with a 150bhp engine.

Any other recommended options beyond S-MAX and Galaxy?
              Mercedes S Class from 2003 are ULEZ complaint, from £6k
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Mercedes S Class from 2003 are ULEZ complaint, from £6k
                now that is a lot of car for not a lot of money
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

The S500 is fast as f*** too
                  Former IPSE member
                  My Website

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Indeed, be prepared to put £2k per month aside for repairs.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                    X