• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Violent book banned

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Is there? Who decides?
    Of course, NAT certainly believes so for a start but there will also be good arguments to why they should be still freely available so the debate will just roll and roll on. And no one authority can decide. It will be down to either law makers or smaller groups like Utah schools and the bible as per the topic of the thread.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
      fahrenheit 451 should be burned.
      FTFY.

I recall seeing a copy of Mao's Little Red Book in a 2nd hand bookshop in Swansea about 30 years ago.

I think a chap at skool had a translation of Mein Kampf.
      Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 7 June 2023, 12:14.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        I generally agree. But Mein Kampf? Das Kapital? Quotations from Chairman Mao Zedong? Could be considered collectively responsible for 38 million, 60 million and 35 million deaths, respectively.

I did burn Heinlein "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls", because a) I was running out of charcoal for the BBQ and b) it is unutterable tulip. And I've burned a bible. Onto CD.
        Yeah but the Nazis had some help in dogma:

How Christians Destroyed the Ancient World - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

But Christians did fetishize dogma. In A.D. 386 a law was passed declaring that those “who contend about religion … shall pay with their lives and blood.” Books were systematically burned. The doctrinal opinions of one of the most celebrated early church fathers, St. John Chrysostom — he of the Golden Mouth — were enthusiastically quoted in Nazi Germany 1,500 years after his death: The synagogue “is a den of robbers and a lodging for wild beasts … a dwelling of demons.”
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I don't think any books should be banned.
          Fulsomely agreed, to fight evil you have to know evil.
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I generally agree. But Mein Kampf? Das Kapital? Quotations from Chairman Mao Zedong? Could be considered collectively responsible for 38 million, 60 million and 35 million deaths, respectively.

I did burn Heinlein "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls", because a) I was running out of charcoal for the BBQ and b) it is unutterable tulip. And I've burned a bible. Onto CD.
            Your sig strongly indicates that you think mixed gendered people should not exist and white people should not "breed" with non-white people. You have no mortal authority to talk about genocide.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Yeah but the Nazis had some help in dogma:

How Christians Destroyed the Ancient World - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

But Christians did fetishize dogma. In A.D. 386 a law was passed declaring that those “who contend about religion … shall pay with their lives and blood.” Books were systematically burned. The doctrinal opinions of one of the most celebrated early church fathers, St. John Chrysostom — he of the Golden Mouth — were enthusiastically quoted in Nazi Germany 1,500 years after his death: The synagogue “is a den of robbers and a lodging for wild beasts … a dwelling of demons.”
              Yeah, that's a few (but not all) historians' view. It's certainly true that anti-semitism has been in the established Church for centuries. Thankfully not so much nowadays. We leave that to the Labour Party and other groups.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Yeah, that's a few (but not all) historians' view.
                Actually I wasn't meaning to get at that, more the unfortunate reuse of dogma. I don't agree with Nixey at all and her book is a shallow attempt to convince of a shaky theory. In reality there was a more nuanced cultural change as well explained by Krauthiemer in his Rome: Profile of a City 312-1308.Also Peter Brown is worth reading.

Comment

I read this story in the BBC but was left unsure if it was done as a 'protest'/joke (like the guy who claimed to identify as being much younger to raise awareness of identity 'silliness') or was serious. Utah is one of the most heavily red states but also an anomaly in being 50% Mormon which probably leads to all sorts of weird edge cases.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by DrewG View Post

Your sig strongly indicates that you think mixed gendered people should not exist and white people should not "breed" with non-white people. You have no mortal authority to talk about genocide.
                    You are relatively new here aren't you?
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

You are relatively new here aren't you?
                      Nothing (including her own kids etc etc) excuses her use of that offensive word.

Comment

Working...
                      X