• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

France and Spain Road Trip

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

France and Spain Road Trip

I've booked a villa in Spain and plan to do a road trip through France, with a stopover or two, before reaching Spain. However, I'm considering undertaking this journey in my new electric vehicle (EV).

Has anyone tried traversing around France and Spain, or even just taken a long trip in an EV? How did you find the experience?

Alternatively, I have the option of taking our diesel car, which might arguably be the more sensible choice. Any advice would be appreciated.

I've done both, but always in a hire car. Wouldn't drive a right hand drive car on a long journey over there, too risky for me, I like to be able to see when overtaking etc. And driving around on British plates is just asking to be mugged in some places. But hey ho.

Comment

I'd take the diesel. My sister-in-law has an EV. It's a right pain to go any distance.

I've driven on UK plates in France many times. Never had any issues. If you've a co-driver to handle visibility in the passenger seat, there's really no issue. In a few weeks, I'm driving to the UK in my left-hand drive car.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

To echo CoolCat there are places to be careful of with British plates, a few I can think of Marseille, Barcelona, Lyon. Be careful around Calais and do not leave your passports in the car ever in France.

Personally I wouldn't go for using the electric vehicle on a jaunt like this just yet as there is a higher chance of having problems with range and charging with your EV than there is here. We haven't got a great electric charging infrastructure in this country, but from what I have the french and Spanish ones are not as developed yet.
        I would take the diesel, at least this way you have a lot more confidence in being able to get fuel and you need not panic about heading off the beaten track either. There are some fantastic places in France and spain to explore if you head away from the main routes a little bit.
        Former IPSE member
        My Website

Comment

Personally I'd take the diesel and investigate the options of EV for future trips as you travel. I'd be going on holiday to relax, not arrive at the destination stressed to fk and not be looking forward to the trip home for the same reason.

You could find the infrastructure is spot on and no need to worry or you could ruin you entire trip. One reccie and then you can happily EV it for ever more.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've driven around France and Spain a fair bit, we can take the dogs so it was our default holiday. I've not done it since 2018 and last time was in a diesel.

Defo understand about safety, had a couple of occassions in Spain where it was pretty close, being followed to our car by two men either side of the car. Another time a car was obviously trying to get us to crash into the back of them. But mostly its great to drive around there.

I've looked at a couple of youtube vids for EV roadtrips but it was in Germany and one to Scotland.

Good to know the the infrastructure is not a developed as the UK. My worry really is that the charging stations will be off the beaten track and can be quite scary charging up in the middle of the night.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Personally I'd take the diesel and investigate the options of EV for future trips as you travel. I'd be going on holiday to relax, not arrive at the destination stressed to fk and not be looking forward to the trip home for the same reason.

You could find the infrastructure is spot on and no need to worry or you could ruin you entire trip. One reccie and then you can happily EV it for ever more.
              Yep it is the sensible option for a road trip and yep i could imagine driving around france with 40 miles left trying to find a working EV charger. For some reason I thought France would be miles ahead with their EV infrastructure.

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post
                To echo CoolCat there are places to be careful of with British plates, a few I can think of Marseille, Barcelona, Lyon. Be careful around Calais and do not leave your passports in the car ever in France.

Personally I wouldn't go for using the electric vehicle on a jaunt like this just yet as there is a higher chance of having problems with range and charging with your EV than there is here. We haven't got a great electric charging infrastructure in this country, but from what I have the french and Spanish ones are not as developed yet.
                I would take the diesel, at least this way you have a lot more confidence in being able to get fuel and you need not panic about heading off the beaten track either. There are some fantastic places in France and spain to explore if you head away from the main routes a little bit.
                Good to know about the infrastructure, yep think the other car is the way to go. Makes sense on multiple levels just wanted to try it really

We tend to drive down to Millau as our final stop in France. Usually, come back via Siran, just because its the right distance and we know dog friendly places. I've done a road trip through other parts of France without the dogs and yep some fantastic places.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
                  For some reason I thought France would be miles ahead with their EV infrastructure.

If you take the EV you're unlikely to have to worry about it being stolen. Unless they've a truck.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

If you take the EV you're unlikely to have to worry about it being stolen. Unless they've a truck.
                    Should be ok if we can find a good long stretch downhill with a following wind

Comment

Working...
                    X