• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Experiences with Using Technology in Construction

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

But do sharpen it with a stanley knife?
    Is there any other way?

Comment

1. Use of Technology in Construction Projects: Technologies like Building Information Modeling (BIM), drones, and 3D printing have been implemented in construction projects worldwide. BIM has enabled more accurate visualization of the end result and made collaborative work more effective. Drones provide aerial views, aiding in surveying and inspection tasks. 3D printing is increasingly used for constructing small to medium-sized buildings or for creating components used in construction.
      2. Improved Efficiency and Productivity: Technology has substantially improved efficiency and productivity in the construction sector. Digital tools facilitate better project management, streamline communication, and reduce time wasted on manual tasks. Automation and robotics can also handle repetitive tasks, increasing productivity and reducing errors.
      3. Challenges in Adopting New Technologies: The primary challenges include high upfront costs, reluctance to change, and the need for specialized training. Overcoming these issues often involves demonstrating long-term financial and efficiency benefits and investing in employee training and support.
      4. Significant Impact Areas: Technology has significantly impacted areas like design (through software like CAD and BIM), project management (through project management software), and safety (through the use of drones for inspections and wearable technology for worker safety).
      5. Role of BIM: BIM has become a cornerstone of modern construction projects. It enhances collaboration, enables conflict detection in the design phase, and improves visualization of the project before construction begins.
      6. Emerging Technologies: Drones, robotics, and augmented reality are being increasingly used. Drones are valuable for surveying and inspection, while robotics can automate repetitive tasks. Augmented reality can be used for visualizing finished projects in the context of their intended location.
      7. Technology and Sustainability: Technology can contribute significantly to sustainability efforts. For example, BIM can optimize building performance, while green building materials and efficient construction methods can reduce environmental impacts.
      8. Future of Technology in Construction: The future of construction technology is exciting, with advancements in AI, machine learning, robotics, and green construction methods promising to make construction more efficient, safer, and more sustainable.
      Written on my bot.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
        Written on my bot.
        What a lot of effort
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by mattsharon View Post
          Cheer's
          Who's Cheer?

Has ChatGPT escaped?

Comment

I’m sure that they’ll be back to harvest the high quality results from this forum.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I had a spirit level with a laser on it.

My experience was that I spent most of my time playing with the laser and very little time checking levels.
              Last edited by TheDude; 30 May 2023, 10:57.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
                I had a spirit level with a laser on it.

My experience was that I spent most of my time plating with the laser and very little time checking levels.
                I had one of those!
                My cat thought it was fantastic fun!
                Former IPSE member
                My Website

Comment

Originally posted by mattsharon View Post
                  Greetings, Folks,

In today's ever-evolving world, technology plays a vital role in shaping the construction industry. We invite you to share your experiences and insights regarding the use of technology in construction projects. Whether you've embraced cutting-edge solutions or encountered challenges along the way, this forum thread aims to foster discussions and knowledge sharing.

Here are a few questions to get the conversation started:
                  1. Which technologies have you implemented in your construction projects, and what benefits have you observed?
                  2. How has technology improved the efficiency and productivity of your construction processes?
                  3. Have you encountered any challenges or obstacles when adopting new technologies? How did you overcome them?
                  4. Are there specific areas in construction where technology has had a significant impact? (e.g., design, project management, safety)
                  5. What role has Building Information Modeling (BIM) played in your projects, and how has it influenced collaboration and communication?
                  6. Have you explored emerging technologies such as drones, robotics, or augmented reality? What are your experiences with them?
                  7. How has technology influenced sustainability efforts in construction? Are there any notable examples from your projects?
                  8. What are your thoughts on the future of technology in construction? Which trends or innovations are you excited about?

Feel free to share your success stories, lessons learned, best practices, and any valuable resources related to technology in construction. Let's engage in insightful discussions and help each other navigate the evolving landscape of construction technology.

Note: Please remember to be respectful and considerate towards other participants. Personal experiences and opinions are highly encouraged, as they contribute to a diverse and enriching conversation.

I look forward to hearing from you and exchanging valuable insights!

Cheer's,
                  Matt
                  I had an earlier career as a landscape/garden designer & often think what a great tool Sketch Up would have been to have had at my disposal back then.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gibson Troubadour View Post

I had an earlier career as a landscape/garden designer & often think what a great tool Sketch Up would have been to have had at my disposal back then.
                    Inneresting
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I have a spade, I call it the spade.
                      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                      X