• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Less than 25 minutes before the sirens go off!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Less than 25 minutes before the sirens go off!

Feel free to moan.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

What? 3.09 PM and not heard a thing!
    bloggoth

John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

It was very underwhelming

If your phone wasn't of the right minimum android or apple version you wouldn't have received anything.

Comment

you need a 4 or 5g phone
        as usual, govmint ignores peeps who aren't fanatical about having the latest iThing.

Comment

Maybe I really shouldn't still be using Android 8 ...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            If your phone wasn't of the right minimum android or apple version you wouldn't have received anything.
            Here are the minimum specs from the gov.uk site:
            How emergency alerts work - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Emergency alerts work on:
            • iPhones running iOS 14.5 or later
            • Android phones and tablets running Android 11 or later
            I got the alert on my personal phone (iOS 16.4.1) but I didn't get anything on my work phone (Android 13).

On the Android phone (Samsung Galaxy A13) I've gone to:
            Settings | Safety and Emergency
            Emergency Alerts | Samsung UK
            However there's no option for "Allow alerts". (The nearest I've got is "Earthquake alerts", which says "not available in your region".)

I've got 2 working theories:
            a) My phone only gets quarterly updates from Samsung, so maybe it's missing a patch that would add this feature.
            b) When I enrolled my phone in Intune, the OS became Android Enterprise. Maybe that has different features?

I don't think it's anything to do with the phone contract (i.e. business vs personal), but hopefully someone else can confirm whether they got an alert from a business contract.

Comment

my nokia 3320 didn't get it

Comment

I've got Android 13 and alerts allowed. Expect the Russians hacked it so we won't know when the H Bomb is coming.

as usual, govmint ignores peeps who aren't fanatical about having the latest iThing
                Yeh, they probably want to get rid of us old farts to reduce the state pension costs.
                Last edited by xoggoth; 23 April 2023, 14:55.
                bloggoth

Comment

I got a load of alerts in South Korea last month, but nowt here. Android 13.

edit - now I've uploaded a pic I can google lens them - very dull!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2023-04-23-15-27-32-81_a1202a63f5df5ae4ca780f6a6566a2f8.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.5 KB ID:	4260844
                  Last edited by mudskipper; 23 April 2023, 15:52.

Comment

worked well enough for me.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X