• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Squirrel Terror!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Squirrel Terror!

Those pesky creatures..

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...-fife-65092730

Michelle Collins says she is terrified to enter her kitchen every morning because of the grey squirrels which have been living in her house for the last three years.

Evading the efforts of pest controllers, they have chewed up her doors and skirting boards and have eaten her dogs' food.

The 39-year-old gym owner said they go into her kitchen at night, leaving her at the end of her tether.

Michelle, from Kilwinning in Ayrshire, said: "I never imagined squirrels could do this to my home, it's unbelievable what they can do.

"I've tried everything but nothing is working. I feel terrorised by them.

"I'm terrified to go into my kitchen every morning."

Michelle told BBC Scotland she became aware of the problem when she started hearing a noise in the walls, then noticed piles of sawdust at doors and skirting boards.

"I live near woodland and they jump off the trees, on to my car port and then on to my house," she said.

"There is a hole where they have dug under my porch and are coming up the inside of my walls."

She keeps her dogs' food in the conservatory, which is off the kitchen - and the squirrels had chewed through the door to get to the food.

"I now put the food away when I go to bed, but in the morning I've found the towel I've used to stop up the gap is pulled out and chewed too."

She said a pest controller had given up after trying everything to catch the squirrels.

Pest controllers are not allowed to trap and kill grey squirrels living in guttering or roofs - but once they enter lofts or other rooms in a house they can be exterminated.

Pest controller Scott McIntyre, who covers Edinburgh, the Lothians and Fife, said he had seen the "nightmare damage" that could be done by squirrels.

"The worst was a woman in Fife who had every electrical cable chewed, so she had to have her whole house rewired. The damage they caused cost £30,000.

"Another woman in Edinburgh had her cables chewed through in her converted attic, and I've seen them chew through from attics into bedrooms.

"What they can do to a house can be devastating."

His technique is to scare squirrels out of houses before blocking up the holes.

But he said that on one occasion he was attacked by three male squirrels which he had cornered in an attic.

"They jumped on me and tried to claw and bite me, but usually squirrels run away when I go into attics."

BBC Scotland has spoken to a number of people who have experienced squirrel problems in their homes.

Jacqueline Hewitt, 49, from Gracemount in Edinburgh, said a pest controller had been to her house, but she could still hear scratching in her roof.

"He put down nine trays of poison and they were all eaten when he checked two weeks later.

"He told us squirrels can be vicious so to be very careful. We haven't dared to look in the attic.

"We don't know where the hole is so we can't get it blocked up.

"My daughter has been having nightmares that they are in her bed and she thinks they are going to come through the walls. The scratching sound is terrible."

Alayne Costello, from south Edinburgh, said there had been an issue with squirrels in her house since she moved in a year ago.

She said: "They chewed right through the lead flashing around my skylight and during the storms before Christmas it meant I was flooded.

"All the insulation was soaked, the wall in my hall was damaged as well as my bathroom. It has been a nightmare."

Nan Dickson, 75, and her husband Gerry, 85, have lived in Edinburgh's Mortonhall area for 43 years.

Nan said: "We have had squirrels for the first time and the noise of them jumping above our heads is horrible. We have been worried about the damage and they gnawed through the eves.

"When my husband went into the attic one of the squirrels stuck its head out of the hole and we were very stressed.

"We have been shocked at what they have done."

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

We had them gnaw through our garden shed to get at peanuts we kept for the birds.

It was nigh impossible to keep them off the bird feeders. I tried long wires hanging from very high branches; metal stakes with grease on them. But nothing worked. That is, until I deployed a few thousand volts.

Unfortunately, they got their own back. They got into the house through the cat flap while we were on holiday...
    Last edited by DealorNoDeal; 4 April 2023, 13:27.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Little b*ggers have (twice!) chewed through the plastic petrol breather pipe on our daughter's car, when she filled the tank about 1/3 promptly ended up on the ground, the breather cost £200 to replace the first time

This time they're going to find it a bit harder, some stainless mesh and hot sauce should put them off...

Comment

I've had something chewing the wiring loom in the engine compartment of my car but I suspect it's probably mice. If it had been squirrels the car would be fcuked.

You should have seen what one did to the inside of our window frames when it couldn't find it's way back out through the cat flap.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

She's got dogs and they allow squirrels free roam of their territory She needs some terriers

Comment

Possibly using something more substantial than a towel to fix the hole in the door might be good.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
              She's got dogs and they allow squirrels free roam of their territory She needs some terriers
              Agreed.

After all many were breed during the industrial revolution to kill rodents.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Shoot them - they're vermin!
                Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

We had them gnaw through our garden shed to get at peanuts we kept for the birds
                  I've had me shed and greenhouse gnawed for ditto reason. I blamed rats but maybe could be squirrels. Or ostriches.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

All rodents are darn good at gnawing. Had a pet hamster escape from its cage once, corner of carpet was wrecked.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X