• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK sign CPTPP trade agreement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK sign CPTPP trade agreement

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/31/b...hnk/index.html

500 million people trading bloc with tariff free trade.

Britain has reached an agreement to join a major trans-Pacific partnership, calling it its biggest trade deal since Brexit.

The country will become the first new member, and the first in Europe, to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) since it came into force in 2018.

British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak announced the move early Friday, hailing it as a historic move that could help lift economic growth in the country by £1.8 billion ($2.2 billion) in the long run.

“The bloc is home to more 500 million people and will be worth 15% of global GDP once the UK joins,” Sunak’s office said.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Isn't this suppose to go in the B<cough> forum?

Anyway Rish! says this is a B<cough> benefit, while Ms Badenoch says it is nothing to do with B<cough>.

Doesn't Rish! talk to his ministers? Or is he too busy not answering questions about his pool and flying around on private jets?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Great news - joining a bloc for free trade.

I hear the 15% is the value of the bloc in terms of global GDP, not the value of increased trade for the UK, which is a smidgen lower...

the Government’s own modelling shows that joining CPTPP is expected to boost UK trade, GDP and wages for UK workers by only a modest amount in the long run (after c. 15 years), with the estimated percentage increase in GDP being 0.08%
      https://committees.parliament.uk/pub...fault/#page=13
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Isn't this suppose to go in the B forum?

Anyway Rish! says this is a B benefit, while Ms Badenoch says it is nothing to do with B .

Doesn't Rish! talk to his ministers? Or is he too busy not answering questions about his pool and flying around on private jets?
        It is UK PLC moving forward joining a growing market with 500 million people not talking about being prevented from doing it by being a member of the EU oddly a shrinking market with 500 million people.

It is a B benefit in reality.

Now if Biden brings the US back in it will be 850 million people.
        Last edited by vetran; 31 March 2023, 15:11.

Comment

It is UK PLC moving forward joining a growing market with 500 million people

Now if Biden brings the US back in it will be 100+ million people.
          I know numbers aren't your thing, but going from 500 million to 100 million is shrinking by 80%, not growing.

And given the US population of 350m, unless they are going over to kill everyone with their second amendment rights, I'd expect the number in the market to increase, not decrease.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I know numbers aren't your thing, but going from 500 million to 100 million is shrinking by 80%, not growing.

And given the US population of 350m, unless they are going over to kill everyone with their second amendment rights, I'd expect the number in the market to increase, not decrease.
            cheers was typing while doing other things, corrected.

If the Americans hear the Australians have schools....

Comment

cheers was typing while doing other things, corrected.

If the Americans hear the Australians have schools....
              And Australia gave us Dame Edna Everage, who I have since discovered was actually a man dressed up in Drag.
              I'm so horrified, I may have to watch Priscilla, Queen of the Desert for a does of real masculine men.

Oh, and Australia's record on mass shootings since the National Firearms Agreement shows that they have more thoughts and prayers.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

And Australia gave us Dame Edna Everage, who I have since discovered was actually a man dressed up in Drag.
                I'm so horrified, I may have to watch Priscilla, Queen of the Desert for a does of real masculine men.

Oh, and Australia's record on mass shootings since the National Firearms Agreement shows that they have more thoughts and prayers.
                Yeah he was no Lily Savage

Comment

Kemi Badenoch stated "It's good to join a trade block as there is security in being a member along with other countries."
                  0.08% trade increase is predicted and the UK has to agree to their rules.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Isn't this suppose to go in the B forum?

Anyway Rish! says this is a B benefit, while Ms Badenoch says it is nothing to do with B .

Blatently circumventing the B<cough> filter is a bannable offence
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X