• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NHS satisfaction...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That paracetamol story is a good bit of spin.
    £73m prescribing it, and the Wail has checked that the dosage etc of each one is the equivalent of the same packs sold in Tesco. Did they hack someone's phone to be so certain of it?
    Strangely enough, they've provided no links to their sources for the details, so that non-idiots could research it rather than accepting it as pure gospel.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Ah, OK - I'll tell my friends who work in Pharma Sales to the NHS, among others, that they're mistaken - thanks for the Daily Wail fact check!

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

My other half's Aunt and Uncle in the US are still paying the medical bills for their son who died with bone cancer 15 years ago - they get a nice little reminder every month as the money is taken from their bank account.

Surely some sort of "Nursing Service", "Surgery Service", "Hospital Service" and "Aftercare Service" with a "Management Service" overseeeing can be put in place and funded from a central pot? An over simplification I know but surely something along these lines can make the individual areas more efficient and manageable.
        There are a number of areas we could improve and improve UK PLC by developing technologies. We actually have access to millions of test results, X-Rays etc we could leverage.

Any multinational would streamline such organisations an automate most transactions.

A single portal for booking, picking up minor results (I'm happy to be told my test results are ok by email and or via a portal) etc.

24*7 use of facilities, I have no problem going for an MRI or minor operation at 2 am if needed. The MRI is expensive the operators not so much.

Greater use of AI / technology to process results - Use Covid testing as a springboard.

Charging those who block e.g. councils not making care home places available etc.

Roving clinics giving annual checkups - take some blood etc and send me recommendations to identify high risk cases, the number of people who die from undiagnosed heart disease for instance could be substantially reduced by recording an ECG and using AI to analyse.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

Ah, OK - I'll tell my friends who work in Pharma Sales to the NHS, among others, that they're mistaken - thanks for the Daily Wail fact check!
          so actively and illegally pushing up costs as per the first link suggests doesn't happen and the fines issued will be shortly cancelled?

second one was from the tax payers Alliance and our old friend Matt Handcock.

https://www.taxpayersalliance.com/ov...ing_in_the_nhs

it has been an issue for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

No, you missed it, there's one example, so everyone is guilty.

It's a bit like everyone on benefits is a scrounger, all migrants are uneducated, and your house value is more important than anything else.

Comment

I think that just putting actual doctors in charge of the NHS would go a long way to fixing its problems.
              No management consultancy nonsense, beancounters relegated to just counting beans, no wacky ideas of trusts/foundations/etc or other methods of burning our money.
              Just doctors who know exactly what resources they need to treat patients. All employed directly by NHS and all clinical staff paid enough that the temptation to go private isn't as strong. The ratio of clinical staff to non-clinical should be a very big number.

But more generally I think the issues with the NHS, along with things like building railways and nuclear reactors, are symptoms of systemic and enormous cost disease and institutional ineptitude.
              Building a hospital, railway or a nuke should be a piece of piss in the 21st century. We built the first commercial nuke in the West almost 70 years ago. Yet here we are, HS2 billions and billions over budget and years late, and the nukes we needed years ago farmed out to EDF who are also billions over budget and decade late. We've lost the abillity to simply get stuff done without dragging it out for years while spraying taxpayer's money at profiteering companies like a firehose. While politicians just outrageously and shamlessly lie about 'building 40 new hospitals' and we barely bat an eyelid.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

No, you missed it, there's one example, so everyone is guilty.

It's a bit like everyone on benefits is a scrounger, all migrants are uneducated, and your house value is more important than anything else.
                well it was a number of examples, identified by the Government, Minister & the Taxpayers alliance. The figures were published and challenged except by hard of thinking people who don't like the wail.

Comment

Originally posted by Paracelsus View Post
                  I think that just putting actual doctors in charge of the NHS would go a long way to fixing its problems.
                  No management consultancy nonsense, beancounters relegated to just counting beans, no wacky ideas of trusts/foundations/etc or other methods of burning our money.
                  Just doctors who know exactly what resources they need to treat patients. All employed directly by NHS and all clinical staff paid enough that the temptation to go private isn't as strong. The ratio of clinical staff to non-clinical should be a very big number.

But more generally I think the issues with the NHS, along with things like building railways and nuclear reactors, are symptoms of systemic and enormous cost disease and institutional ineptitude.
                  Building a hospital, railway or a nuke should be a piece of piss in the 21st century. We built the first commercial nuke in the West almost 70 years ago. Yet here we are, HS2 billions and billions over budget and years late, and the nukes we needed years ago farmed out to EDF who are also billions over budget and decade late. We've lost the abillity to simply get stuff done without dragging it out for years while spraying taxpayer's money at profiteering companies like a firehose. While politicians just outrageously and shamlessly lie about 'building 40 new hospitals' and we barely bat an eyelid.
                  Nothing wrong with great management helping experts to deliver the best service, just that it isn't happening in the NHS.

But yes getting things done seems to be out of fashion. Rolls Royce have had nuclear power pods for years that could be deployed safely.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

well it was a number of examples, identified by the Government, Minister & the Taxpayers alliance. The figures were published and challenged except by hard of thinking people who don't like the wail.
                    Ah, good old vet, conflating two stories.

Where's the facts behind the paracetamol claims?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

so actively and illegally pushing up costs as per the first link suggests doesn't happen and the fines issued will be shortly cancelled?

second one was from the tax payers Alliance and our old friend Matt Handcock.

https://www.taxpayersalliance.com/ov...ing_in_the_nhs

it has been an issue for a while.
                      If you want people to take your posts seriously don't quote the tax payers alliance.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X