• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gary Lineker tax IR35

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why?
    'Cos I can't stand the lefty twat.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      Reading this, it seems that he won because IR35 simply cannot apply to sole traders or...in this case, partnerships. I'm amazed HMRC even brought the case.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65103265
      Given the above, it beggars belief that he didn't win the original case.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post

Given the above, it beggars belief that he didn't win the original case.
        https://financeandtax.decisions.trib...TC%2008774.pdf

The Judgement states "The intermediaries legislation (IR35) can apply to arrangements where an individual’s services are supplied to a client through a partnership" (para 7)

'direct contracts' win the day (see para 8).

Comment

So, surely case law which says LLP's are out of the remit of IR35 is pretty huge, no?

I know LLPs are nowhere near as tax efficient as a Ltd co, but they're far better than being stuck in a brolly. Does the arctic systems case apply to LLP - it sounds like he shunted some earnings to his wife?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            Reading this, it seems that he won because IR35 simply cannot apply to sole traders or...in this case, partnerships. I'm amazed HMRC even brought the case.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65103265
            I think this article has been updated since I first posted it - it has since clarified that IR35 _can_ apply to partnerships but it did not in this case.

Comment

IR35 applies to a variety of intermediary types, including limited companies, partnerships and even individuals, as outlined in ITEPA Chapter 8 part 2 sections 51, 52 and 53, respectively.

Comment

So HMRC want to appeal and waste more of our money.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  So HMRC want to appeal and develop a deeper understanding of the law to ensure "You pay what you OWE!"
                  FTFY
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

HMRC won't care if it costs £25M to appeal/win the case, it isn't their money.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

HM Treasury can’t afford to lose tax cases, especially in lower levels without long appeal process

Comment

Working...
                      X