• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MPs Ex-Ministers negotiate their day rate with potential clients

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MPs Ex-Ministers negotiate their day rate with potential clients

I wonder if these are Inside IR35? If so, I think they found a way to get around the extra charges

Last edited by PerfectStorm; 26 March 2023, 00:20.
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    I wonder if these are Inside IR35? If so, I think they found a way to get around the extra charges

Why would they be inside IR35?
    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

It’s a joke about the general situation we find ourselves in
      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Oh dear, are you inside IR35? How did you let that happen?
        Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Oh dear, are you inside IR35? How did you let that happen?
          oh no, I wouldn’t dream of such things

⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Because they are already employed as MPs and there daily rate is for services are for matters within their employment as an MP. IR35 therefore applies.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Because they are already employed as MPs and there daily rate is for services are for matters within their employment as an MP. IR35 therefore applies.
              and in English?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

If I had a paid weekend/evening sideline helping people with their computer problems, separate to my full time job as an IT expert (say), would that extra work be subject to IR35 because I'm also employed to do something similar by a completely different entity? What happened to considering each engagement separately on its own merits?

FTAOD, I'm against MPs having any income from any other source unless it was something that existed before they became an MP and that income isn't affected by or conditional on their position as an MP; if they need more money they should choose a different occupation. I just don't see that IR35 applies in this case.
                Last edited by Snooky; 26 March 2023, 12:53.

Comment

Perhaps their 'clients' are risk adverse, can't be bothered to undertake assessments, and so just offer an increased rate by way of compensation?

Comment

I would hope they asked for a SDS, though, just to be sure

Comment

Working...
                    X