• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Support networks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Support networks

Just sitting on a call which is driving me up the wall. Details aren't necessary, just the usual 'blame anyone except me', 'talk assertively to pretend I know what I'm tuliping on about' etc. etc. business call. FYI: I'm just in the background and pretty much invisible but it's still winding me up.

Got me thinking, back in the old days when I was a permie, I had a mucker sitting opposite me who I used to rant at when needing to blow off steam but what do 'us contractors' do when we need to rant a bit? Bend your partners ear, shout at the dog, phone a contractor friend 'who understands'?

It's hard, especially if you're wfh most off the time and can't even moan about the client to the other contractors on site; can't be good for our mental health.....

I have a coffee once, sometimes twice, a month with a contractor friend and a permie friend who live close by and both work in the same field as I do and we all have a good rant / moan / bitch about life, work, 'bosses' (for the permie) and clients (for the contractors) and find it beneficial.

How does everyone else cope? Or am I just a bit of a wuss?

You post a bleeding heart post on here and end it with 'Am I being a wuss?' and we can all fire in.

HTH
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yup just a wuss

Real WFH's let it pass over them or put extra loud rock/punk music

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
        Yup just a wuss

Real WFH's let it pass over them or put extra loud rock/punk music
        Or just have a furious . The release of those endomorphines will help with all the problems and stress.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          You post a bleeding heart post on here and end it with 'Am I being a wuss?' and we can all fire in.

HTH
          Like it or not....YOU are part of my support network.

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post
            Just sitting on a call which is driving me up the wall. Details aren't necessary, just the usual 'blame anyone except me', 'talk assertively to pretend I know what I'm tuliping on about' etc. etc. business call. FYI: I'm just in the background and pretty much invisible but it's still winding me up.
            I just logon on to my personal pc and do whatever tulip I could do with doing, catching up, ordering, booking flights etc. When I was a Test Team lead onsite I used to be pulled into day long design meetings, much to my annoyance as my input took aprox 5 mins per hour. So I used to do my OU work especially Latin and Greek verb tables.

Funnily no one said anything and I wasn't sacked, in fact just been approached about a return, but I've finished OU now so no point!

BTW hope you're ok, you were expecting some news a while ago?
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Send and receive sarcastic messages to the people who are contractors and a one/two permies you are working alongside, then try not to laugh if your camera is on. If it gets to much "you just have to go and collect a parcel at the door"

Or read the Metro, Guardian or whatever to post a story on here.
              Last edited by SueEllen; 16 March 2023, 16:17.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                BTW hope you're ok, you were expecting some news a while ago?
                Thanks for asking; started chemo 2 weeks ago, not really going to know if / how well it's gone for the next 6 months. Took my laptop with me, so managed to invoice for the day I was in hospital linked up to the chemo bag so all good .

Only thing that's annoyed me is my local police force have seized my (licensed and legal) target rifles as I'm now classed as 'at risk from self harm' solely due to my diagnosis. Just waiting to see if my home legal cover will fund a legal challenge to get them back.

Comment

used to do my OU work especially Latin and Greek verb tables
                  No suprise there then Gibby.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post
                    Only thing that's annoyed me is my local police force have seized my (licensed and legal) target rifles as I'm now classed as 'at risk from self harm' solely due to my diagnosis. Just waiting to see if my home legal cover will fund a legal challenge to get them back.
                    Stone me. What calibre are they? The rifles, not the plod. We all know what calibre they are.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                    X