• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How are you celebrating International Womens Day?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'll be reading the news about Ngozi Fulani who is dressed head to toe in African garb including massive earrings with Africa on them complaining about the apology she got from some old lady who mistakenly asked here where she was from. She's single handedly doing more damage to women's rights and race relations or whatever than any day that promotes that message.
    https://uk.news.yahoo.com/why-valid-...175038998.html

Originally posted by Esther Krakue
    Upon seeing the picture of Fulani at Buckingham Palace, my Ghanaian mother thought she was dressed as a fetish priest (a person in Western African culture who serves as a mediator between the spirits and the living).
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post

Yep she is an embarrassment.
      Presumably you mean the racist white woman.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well as it happens to be on my birthday I chilled out, played games progressed on making my thing & ate good food
        Growing old is mandatory
        Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I think it's clear what I meant. I'm guessing you are trying to make some point but couldnt be arsed typing it up.

Comment

I'll bite.

That might have been true first time round. Said white woman has lost her job, has been publicly shamed, come forward to apologies and be educated in the public eye. Incident is closed.

But that was then, the situation is now. The black woman has had someone sacked, received grovelling apologies all round and has had her (more than) 15 minutes of fame. She's now milking it by overtly dressing in a way that arguably caused the confusion in the first place and complaining she deserves more. Sympathy has gone and there is just no need.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I'll bite.

That might have been true first time round. Said white woman has lost her job, has been publicly shamed, come forward to apologies and be educated in the public eye. Incident is closed.

But that was then, the situation is now. The black woman has had someone sacked, received grovelling apologies all round and has had her (more than) 15 minutes of fame. She's now milking it by overtly dressing in a way that arguably caused the confusion in the first place and complaining she deserves more. Sympathy has gone and there is just no need.
              Oh dear(tm)

Comments like that, no matter how factual, don't fit today's DIE* agenda!

*Yeah, I know it's EDI but I just thought I'd see who I can wind up.
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

I'll be reading the news about Ngozi Fulani who is dressed head to toe in African garb including massive earrings with Africa on them complaining about the apology she got from some old lady who mistakenly asked here where she was from
                Let's look at that transcript:

Lady SH: “Where are you from?”
                Ms Fulani: “Sistah Space.”
                SH: “No where do you come from?
                Ms Fulani: “We’re based in Hackney.”
                SH: “No, what part of Africa are YOU from?”
                Ms Fulani: “I don’t know, they didn’t leave any records.”
                SH: “Well, you must know where you’re from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?”
                Ms Fulani: “Here, UK”

If SH had stop there, then all would have been fine, but she persisted.

SH: “No, but what Nationality are you?”
                Ms Fulani: “I am born here and am British.”
                SH: “No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?”
                Ms Fulani: “‘My people’, lady, what is this?”
                SH: “Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you’re from. When did you first come here?”
                Ms Fulani: “Lady! I am a British national, my parents came here in the 50’s when…”
                SH: “Oh, I knew we’d get there in the end, you’re Caribbean!”
                Ms Fulani: “No lady, I am of African heritage, Caribbean descent and British nationality.”
                SH: “Oh so you’re from….”

So whether Fulani was wearing a business suit or African costume, SH was rude At the point of "Here, UK", any confusion should have been allayed.

I had my daughter make a nice curry for me yesterday.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Let's look at that transcript:

Lady SH: “Where are you from?”
                  Ms Fulani: “Sistah Space.”
                  SH: “No where do you come from?
                  Ms Fulani: “We’re based in Hackney.”
                  SH: “No, what part of Africa are YOU from?”
                  Ms Fulani: “I don’t know, they didn’t leave any records.”
                  SH: “Well, you must know where you’re from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?”
                  Ms Fulani: “Here, UK”

If SH had stop there, then all would have been fine, but she persisted.

SH: “No, but what Nationality are you?”
                  Ms Fulani: “I am born here and am British.”
                  SH: “No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?”
                  Ms Fulani: “‘My people’, lady, what is this?”
                  SH: “Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you’re from. When did you first come here?”
                  Ms Fulani: “Lady! I am a British national, my parents came here in the 50’s when…”
                  SH: “Oh, I knew we’d get there in the end, you’re Caribbean!”
                  Ms Fulani: “No lady, I am of African heritage, Caribbean descent and British nationality.”
                  SH: “Oh so you’re from….”

So whether Fulani was wearing a business suit or African costume, SH was rude At the point of "Here, UK", any confusion should have been allayed.

I had my daughter make a nice curry for me yesterday.
                  Totally and I don't disagree. It's toe curling. But that's old news. Steps were taking to rectify the situation and it should have been closed. She didn't need to come back on TV claiming she's had no apology. I meant the term 'mistakenly' as in SH should have shut up after 'Hackney'. Bad terminology by me. Wrongly, unfairly. Whatever word suits SH not doing what she did.

I just find the doubling down on the apology a step too far for her case but she's an activist with a voice so guess it's the thing to do.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Totally and I don't disagree. It's toe curling. But that's old news. Steps were taking to rectify the situation and it should have been closed. She didn't need to come back on TV claiming she's had no apology. I meant the term 'mistakenly' as in SH should have shut up after 'Hackney'. Bad terminology by me. Wrongly, unfairly. Whatever word suits SH not doing what she did.

I just find the doubling down on the apology a step too far for her case but she's an activist with a voice so guess it's the thing to do.
                    Well I suppose you haven't grown up being racially abused, which presumably leads to quite strong feelings.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Well I suppose you haven't grown up being racially abused, which presumably leads to quite strong feelings.
                      Could be worse, she could be a Ginger!
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                      X