• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ouch that is cold

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch that is cold

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...pensation.html

I thought justice was supposed to return you where you were as if the crime hadn't been committed?

'I lost my post office, house and marriage - now I've been shafted twice': Postmaster who lost out in Horizon IT scandal now forced to hand back £322k compensation
    • Francis Duff, 80, suffered a divorce and lost his home in the Post Office scandal
    • He's now been told he'll be forced to hand £322,000 compensation back
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

While the legal rationale is clear, it does look potentially unfair.

If the bankruptcy resulted from the system errors, then it would seem reasonable that the compensation should cover (a) the postmaster as the direct victim and (b) the bankruptcy creditors since they are indirectly victims.

I wonder if any one of those responsible for causing this mess will ever get prosecuted …

Comment

One of the most incomprehensible cases ever. Surely money apparently missing from an account was not proof against these people, wouldn't they have had to show in court that they had actually received it? And the sheer number of cases all at the same time must have indicated something was wrong with the system.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        And the sheer number of cases all at the same time must have indicated something was wrong with the system.
        Oh its worse than that, they (the PO) had a team whose job it was to recover monies if the system error was in the postmasters favour!
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

One of the most incomprehensible cases ever. Surely money apparently missing from an account was not proof against these people, wouldn't they have had to show in court that they had actually received it? And the sheer number of cases all at the same time must have indicated something was wrong with the system.
          You would think that would happen, the Register was reporting on this for decades. It was suggesting Horizon was suspect a long time ago.

As you say you would think the lawyers would have pointed out the volume and lack of money in a very select group of individuals. Running a post office was something that required a very responsible individual of good standing.

Agree someone who ran Horizon and failed to investigate what were obviously system issues needs to go to jail.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

You would think that would happen, the Register was reporting on this for decades. It was suggesting Horizon was suspect a long time ago.

As you say you would think the lawyers would have pointed out the volume and lack of money in a very select group of individuals. Running a post office was something that required a very responsible individual of good standing.

Agree someone who ran Horizon and failed to investigate what were obviously system issues needs to go to jail.
            Given the scale of this, I reckon that there's more than one person eligible for the clink! Following due process, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

Given the scale of this, I reckon that there's more than one person eligible for the clink! Following due process, of course.
              definitely that was more of a filter.

Comment

The post office were allowed to investigate and prosecute their own cases.

The Post Office decided that the software couldn't be wrong so if there were accounting mistakes the post master was at fault.

This was even though a union rep had been shown and a few programmers who had worked on the system pointed out that there were loads of errors in the system.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The post office were allowed to investigate and prosecute their own cases.
                  Somehow Horizon was omitted from their exhibition.
                  https://www.postalmuseum.org/blog/th...ation-branch/#

"The Post Office Solicitors’ Office has been succeeded by Royal Mail Legal Services, which continues to be recognised by the Ministry of Justice as a private prosecutor in England and Wales."

Why should such a privilege still exist?

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

Somehow Horizon was omitted from their exhibition.
                    https://www.postalmuseum.org/blog/th...ation-branch/#

"The Post Office Solicitors’ Office has been succeeded by Royal Mail Legal Services, which continues to be recognised by the Ministry of Justice as a private prosecutor in England and Wales."

Why should such a privilege still exist?
                    hey look at the Gas suppliers with forced meter changes.

These need to go on the list of things that needs fixing and passed to the next government if not completed by the current one.

Comment

Working...
                    X