• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gordon Bennet - hope nobody here lives in Croydon

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gordon Bennet - hope nobody here lives in Croydon

Croydon has been given permission to hike council tax bills by a massive 15% to help pay off £1.6billion of debt.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/counc...-list-29144375

2 of my nephews live in Croydon and one is not well off. Council tax pees me off. It's based on stupid out of date assessments of value. I'm band E yet my house is worth a bit less than that of my neighbours who are band D. Apart from waste disposal I get very little for it.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 14 February 2023, 18:21.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

So you have no street lights where you live?

If you don't you need to complain as you are paying for it.

Council tax also pays for education, social care, child services, road repairs including pavements, libraries, fire services and policing.

And yeah I agree it should be a property tax as countries with it have people who tend to live in housing that suits their circumstances at a particular time on their life.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Council Tax is one of the worst taxes around in my view. I don't think that estimated property value decades ago is a good proxy of ability to pay.

I'd much rather see a combination of a land value tax (payable by whomever owns the land) and a local income tax.
      Last edited by Protagoras; 14 February 2023, 21:12.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        So you have no street lights where you live?

If you don't you need to complain as you are paying for it.

Council tax also pays for education, social care, child services, road repairs including pavements, libraries, fire services and policing.

And yeah I agree it should be a property tax as countries with it have people who tend to live in housing that suits their circumstances at a particular time on their life.
        No but we do have a nice shiny new £50 million council building after they gave the old one away. We do have half the street lights turned off because they can't afford to pay for electric. Potholes and bus lanes galore. We have a number of stabbing incidents that would make Mayor Khan proud. Our police are regulars in Police camera Action turning the same idiots round after they leave prison.

I pay nearly the same council tax as someone in a 2 bed flat and someone with a £10million mansion, but they are still instigating a fortnightly bin week and a 10% hike because they pissed all the money away.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

No but we do have a nice shiny new £50 million council building after they gave the old one away. We do have half the street lights turned off because they can't afford to pay for electric. Potholes and bus lanes galore. We have a number of stabbing incidents that would make Mayor Khan proud. Our police are regulars in Police camera Action turning the same idiots round after they leave prison.

I pay nearly the same council tax as someone in a 2 bed flat and someone with a £10million mansion, but they are still instigating a fortnightly bin week and a 10% hike because they pissed all the money away.
          General refuse is collected every 3 weeks, blue (paper) and brown(glass,plastic, tins etc) bins alternate weekly. Food bin (pink lid) collected weekly.

And you think you've got it tough...
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            2 of my nephews live in Croydon and one is not well off. Council tax pees me off. It's based on stupid out of date assessments of value. I'm band E yet my house is worth a bit less than that of my neighbours who are band D.
            So get it reevaluated. CT isn't perfect but on average it tends to be about right.
            Apart from waste disposal I get very little for it.
            CT covers things such as schools, social work, libraries, refuse collection, environmental health, police and fire and rescue. But I thing other things too... local infrastructure like street-lights, pavements, road repairs, etc.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              So get it reevaluated. CT isn't perfect but on average it tends to be about right. CT covers things such as schools, social work, libraries, refuse collection, environmental health, police and fire and rescue. But I thing other things too... local infrastructure like street-lights, pavements, road repairs, etc.

Any government would be able to re-evaluate it reasonably easily. Most houses have been sold a few times since the initial valuation, many houses could be inferred based on the sale of their neighbours.

The bands could be increased so > £1m houses could pay a significant sum.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Any government would be able to re-evaluate it reasonably easily. Most houses have been sold a few times since the initial valuation, many houses could be inferred based on the sale of their neighbours.
                But this would not address the fundamental issue. The council provides services to people, not properties.
                The 'value' of these services is disconnected from the property value.
                There needs to be a charge with a per-capita element to recover money from those who best can afford to pay.

Comment

Martin Lewis, on the MSE website, has a whole guide to getting your house re-evaluated if you think you're in the wrong band:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...il-tax-credit/

I agree Council Tax is a poorly designed way to raise income for local facilities. The Poll Tax, the details of which I am too young to be aware of, evidently wasn't acceptable to the populace either but like all taxes in the UK, it needs reform of some description. I just think successive governments are too scared after the Poll Tax debacle to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

But this would not address the fundamental issue. The council provides services to people, not properties.
                    The 'value' of these services is disconnected from the property value.
                    There needs to be a charge with a per-capita element to recover money from those who best can afford to pay.
                    oh goody poll tax!

Comment

Working...
                    X