• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Gordon Bennet - hope nobody here lives in Croydon"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Nope.

A few years ago some county/metropolitan councils who manage services like education and social services, simply decided that they would get more money if they kept the business rates they collected rather than give them to the government and get a government grant. Unfortunately they didn't figure on Covid and the resulting change in working and shopping patterns.
    Inneresting - I had no idea it was a choice. Seems odd.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Is that part of 'devolving' to have one of these 'super mayors' that various areas are doing?
    Nope.

A few years ago some county/metropolitan councils who manage services like education and social services, simply decided that they would get more money if they kept the business rates they collected rather than give them to the government and get a government grant. Unfortunately they didn't figure on Covid and the resulting change in working and shopping patterns.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

Not all councils get money from central government.

Some have opted to keep the business rates they collect in their area instead of a pot of money from central government.
    Is that part of 'devolving' to have one of these 'super mayors' that various areas are doing?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

OAPs in Tory heartlands in England like Windsor didn't like the poll tax either.

And loads of students and young people disappeared of the electoral roll.
    sadly they didn't make it a progressive tax . It is actually the fairest way because those evading tax still have to pay it.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

The Scots apparently didn't like the 'poll tax' but it is surely fairer to levy a per-capita charge for services.
    I don't think it would be that hard to scrap council tax. Just lump it into income tax nationally and pay to each council a per-capita allowance. Bit like a mini Barnett formula for council funding.
    OAPs in Tory heartlands in England like Windsor didn't like the poll tax either.

And loads of students and young people disappeared of the electoral roll.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

National level infrastructure? It does seem a bit odd though. Local government gets given a pot of money from central government but then they have to top it up from local taxes. Why doesn't your council tax go to central government in the first place? I suppose the idea is it's ring-fenced for your area but then poorer areas raise less and need additional help.
    Not all councils get money from central government.

Some have opted to keep the business rates they collect in their area instead of a pot of money from central government.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Kinda makes you wonder what all the other taxes are for, apart from lawyers for BoJo and MP expenses claims
    National level infrastructure? It does seem a bit odd though. Local government gets given a pot of money from central government but then they have to top it up from local taxes. Why doesn't your council tax go to central government in the first place? I suppose the idea is it's ring-fenced for your area but then poorer areas raise less and need additional help.

Leave a comment:

• Protagoras
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    The Poll Tax, the details of which I am too young to be aware of, evidently wasn't acceptable to the populace either but like all taxes in the UK, it needs reform of some description. I just think successive governments are too scared after the Poll Tax debacle to change it.
    The Scots apparently didn't like the 'poll tax' but it is surely fairer to levy a per-capita charge for services.
    I don't think it would be that hard to scrap council tax. Just lump it into income tax nationally and pay to each council a per-capita allowance. Bit like a mini Barnett formula for council funding.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    CT isn't perfect but on average it tends to be about right. CT covers things such as schools, social work, libraries, refuse collection, environmental health, police and fire and rescue. But I thing other things too... local infrastructure like street-lights, pavements, road repairs, etc.
    Kinda makes you wonder what all the other taxes are for, apart from lawyers for BoJo and MP expenses claims

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

But this would not address the fundamental issue. The council provides services to people, not properties.
    The 'value' of these services is disconnected from the property value.
    There needs to be a charge with a per-capita element to recover money from those who best can afford to pay.
    oh goody poll tax!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Martin Lewis, on the MSE website, has a whole guide to getting your house re-evaluated if you think you're in the wrong band:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/re...il-tax-credit/

I agree Council Tax is a poorly designed way to raise income for local facilities. The Poll Tax, the details of which I am too young to be aware of, evidently wasn't acceptable to the populace either but like all taxes in the UK, it needs reform of some description. I just think successive governments are too scared after the Poll Tax debacle to change it.

Leave a comment:

• Protagoras
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Any government would be able to re-evaluate it reasonably easily. Most houses have been sold a few times since the initial valuation, many houses could be inferred based on the sale of their neighbours.
    But this would not address the fundamental issue. The council provides services to people, not properties.
    The 'value' of these services is disconnected from the property value.
    There needs to be a charge with a per-capita element to recover money from those who best can afford to pay.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    So get it reevaluated. CT isn't perfect but on average it tends to be about right. CT covers things such as schools, social work, libraries, refuse collection, environmental health, police and fire and rescue. But I thing other things too... local infrastructure like street-lights, pavements, road repairs, etc.

Any government would be able to re-evaluate it reasonably easily. Most houses have been sold a few times since the initial valuation, many houses could be inferred based on the sale of their neighbours.

The bands could be increased so > £1m houses could pay a significant sum.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    2 of my nephews live in Croydon and one is not well off. Council tax pees me off. It's based on stupid out of date assessments of value. I'm band E yet my house is worth a bit less than that of my neighbours who are band D.
    So get it reevaluated. CT isn't perfect but on average it tends to be about right.
    Apart from waste disposal I get very little for it.
    CT covers things such as schools, social work, libraries, refuse collection, environmental health, police and fire and rescue. But I thing other things too... local infrastructure like street-lights, pavements, road repairs, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

No but we do have a nice shiny new £50 million council building after they gave the old one away. We do have half the street lights turned off because they can't afford to pay for electric. Potholes and bus lanes galore. We have a number of stabbing incidents that would make Mayor Khan proud. Our police are regulars in Police camera Action turning the same idiots round after they leave prison.

I pay nearly the same council tax as someone in a 2 bed flat and someone with a £10million mansion, but they are still instigating a fortnightly bin week and a 10% hike because they pissed all the money away.
    General refuse is collected every 3 weeks, blue (paper) and brown(glass,plastic, tins etc) bins alternate weekly. Food bin (pink lid) collected weekly.

And you think you've got it tough...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X