• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Love half your neighbours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Love half your neighbours

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...e-pay-tax.html

Shocking rise of 'something for nothing Britain': Over half of households get more from the State than they pay in tax... while top 10% of earners account for 53% of all income tax
    • MPs say the support provided during Covid 'changed the psyche' of the country
    • The poorest fifth households get £17,600 more in benefits than they pay in tax
    • The reliance on the State spiked between 2020 and 2022 due to lockdowns
    This is up from 24 million, or two-fifths of households, when Tony Blair was in power at the turn of the millennium.
    hmm working tax credit + falling salaries?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

And the source of the information is "Civitas" a Tory so called think tank who ran the Vote Leave campaign using fake information. They also also on the fiddle with their donations and expenses.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	66863621-11665761-image-a-38_1674466157275.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	4250341

Yeah because the ONS are just Tory schills.

Comment

Includes us old fart pensioners, probably account for a fair proportion. We have paid with our NI for decades, although not sure we covered the costs. Still, more of a concern are those who never make any net contribution in all their lives. Welfare needs to be a lot harder to access.

Think it may take a long time after Covid before that line comes down. People get used to ways of living.
        Last edited by xoggoth; 23 January 2023, 11:10.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          Plus an increase in tax thresholds, no NI or Tax on anything below £1000 a month. They still pay VAT, but before they were paying more NI and Income tax as well. No employer NI charged on the low paid either.

While those on over 100K now pay eye watering rates. 63% immediately followed by 48% (if you include NI). Plus 15% employer NI.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Includes us old fart pensioners, probably account for a fair proportion. We have paid with our NI for decades, although not sure we covered the costs. Still, more of a concern are those who never make any net contribution in all their lives. Welfare needs to be a lot harder to access.

Think it may take a long time after Covid before that line comes down. People get used to ways of living.
            I wouldn't worry they are making it harder for people with life long disabilities/terminal illnesses who no-one would employ to claim benefits.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

State pensions are in a mess. When taking into account people who die before pension age and the average life span after pension age, contributions exceed pay-outs.
              (My dad died at 64 therefore no state pension). My mum worked full time and had a full pension and did not qualify for any benefits. Her sister worked part-time and did not receive a full pension and therefore qualified for pension credit. Pension credit put her on the same amount as my mum but was also a ticket to a load of other benefits.

I know a contractor who has MS and works as much as a healthy person. On the other hand I know two lazy bu****s who use crutches when out and about locally but not when they are out of town, they never work and claim benefits; there are too many other examples.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                I know a contractor who has MS and works as much as a healthy person. On the other hand I know two lazy bu****s who use crutches when out and about locally but not when they are out of town, they never work and claim benefits; there are too many other examples.
                Things is conditions like MS are variable. So while that contractor can work other people with it can't and have to claim benefits.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Need to raise the minimum wage, working tax credit is essentially a subsidy to employers

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2022 View Post

Need to raise the minimum wage, working tax credit is essentially a subsidy to employers
                    totally agree, notice it was in B'Liar & B'ruin's tenure when it all went a bit silly with WTC sensible people objected then.

Comment

Working...
                    X