• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: ISAs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: ISAs

Slash tax breaks on savings for the wealthy, ministers told

New proposals to cap Isas would raise £1bn per year for the public purse, report finds

Isa savings should be capped at £100,000 to stop wealthy families from benefiting too much from “costly and unnecessary” tax breaks, a leading think tank and charity have said.

All savers would face a total limit of £100,000 of tax-free cash under proposals set out by the Resolution Foundation and the Abrdn Financial Fairness trust.

Individual savings accounts (Isas), allow savers to put away up to £20,000 every year without having to pay tax on any interest or gains.

The joint report found that the three main government saving schemes – Isas, Lifetime Isas and Help to Save – together disproportionately benefited wealthier families, thanks to their much higher levels of cash savings.

The richest tenth of households are on track to gain £800 on average from the schemes next year. Meanwhile, the poorest tenth of households are forecast to receive £38. The average was approximately £250.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/personal...inisters-told/

First feck up pension limits, next nerf ISAs

This looks like another of these reports that fails to recognise behavioural aspects of policy.

If the cap was to be reduced to £100k, these 'wealthy' people would simply find another store of wealth - there would be little incentive to leave the funds in place and pay additional tax. Presumably this is mostly investment ISA funds rather than cash.

Policy objective: more opportunities for 'lazy old men', not incentivised to work much, save much.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      The richest tenth of households are on track to gain £800 on average from the schemes next year. Meanwhile, the poorest tenth of households are forecast to receive £38. The average was approximately £250.”
      of course the poorest are on benefits which may well exceed £800

sooner or later those earning money will stop paying tax.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

£100k hardly qualifies as wealthy.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          £100k in savings is quite a lot for most people sadly.

https://www.money.co.uk/savings-acco...st%2C%20months.

Overview: UK savings statistics 2022
          • The average person in the UK has £17,365 in their savings.
          • 34% of adults had either no savings, or less than £1000, in a savings account.
          • 61% of UK adults save money either every, or most, months.
          • Almost two-thirds (65%) of people believe they wouldn’t be able to last three months without borrowing money.

I imagine most of us on here probably have > £100k in savings but we are unusually well paid. 90th+ (>£60k - yep its not a lot really compared to the figures we hear but its the facts) percentile for most

https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentand...%20per%20month

In the three months to August 2022, the 10th percentile of the monthly pay distribution was £695, the 90th percentile was £5,022 and the 99th percentile was £14,346 (Figure 5). This means that:
          • 10% of payrolled employees earned equal to or less than £695 per month
          • 90% of payrolled employees earned equal to or less than £5,022 per month
          • 99% of payrolled employees earned equal to or less than £14,346 per month
          Yep if you are paid > £5k a month then you are doing better than £90% of waged employees suck it up!

Comment

Strewth.

Apparently I'm "rich".

Who'd have thunk?
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              Strewth.

Apparently I'm "rich".

Who'd have thunk?
              not rich well off, rich I tend to reserve for those that don't need to work.
              Last edited by vetran; 17 January 2023, 08:44.

Comment

If it is then so should pension pots of equivalent size

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

If it is then so should pension pots of equivalent size
                  They've got a little list ...

Comment

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post
                    This looks like another of these reports that fails to recognise behavioural aspects of policy.

If the cap was to be reduced to £100k, these 'wealthy' people would simply find another store of wealth - there would be little incentive to leave the funds in place and pay additional tax. Presumably this is mostly investment ISA funds rather than cash.
                    Which other tax-free savings are there? I would imagine people with S&S ISAs would simply keep their investments outside the ISA instead which makes the growth taxable (under CGT IIRC?)

This is true. A limit is not unreasonable to tax-free savings, though I don't support it, but this is not very much.
                    Although it may be somewhat moot since it's a tax on profits not savings, people with lots of savings are not going to be stiffed too badly. It's just another bit of fat to trim.
                    We should remember this whole thing has only really been around in common usage for about 30 years anyway, I remember my dad being excited when it was introduced and I'm assuming several of you are old enough you might even have had TESSAs, though probably few are old enough to have had PEPs?

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X