• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

bane

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bane

from a prof thread:
    'I'm not a techie myself but have been working tech project manager contracts for a few years now'

this has been the bane of my long career.
    bloody so called 'managers' without a clue how what they're trying to implement works.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Managers who don't know the technical side, or technical people pushed into management without any idea how to do it... which is worse?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

the former

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post
        the former
        Have to agree. I've had too many conversations with people who can not and, worse, will not understand why what they want to do is either not possible, insecure or counter-productive.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

That sounds like the problem isn't that they don't understand the technical side, but they're not a good manager.
          A good manager knows they don't understand the technical side and doesn't stick their nose in. Their job is to manage people and understand what those people tell them can or can't be done, and trust them.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            That sounds like the problem isn't that they don't understand the technical side, but they're not a good manager.
            A good manager knows they don't understand the technical side and doesn't stick their nose in. Their job is to manage people and understand what those people tell them can or can't be done, and trust them.
            I must've been unlucky then, never met one of those.
            quite the opposite, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by sadkingbilly View Post

I must've been unlucky then, never met one of those.
              quite the opposite, unfortunately.
              So the common denominator in "every manager you ever had was terrible" is...

Comment

Not really. There's a huge number of people that think knowing about desktop Windows PCs or using the Mac universe qualifies them to talk about datacentre technologies, cloud computing and the whole professional IT environment. I've had to explain in detail to one such expert why he had to buy twice as many disk drives if he wanted a proper RAID solution for his office server, and why RAID5 is not a DR solution, it is at best part of a BCP one. Then again, I know of plenty of would be coders who can write apps for Android and think that qualifies them for commercial programming roles.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

that old one again, - get yourself a new scriptwriter you bible bashing twat!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	mic-drop.gif
Views:	162
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	4246390

OP walked right in to that one
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X