• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Even graduates are striking

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I must admit, to some extent I'm with Zig on this one. Where the seed of discontent is with the workers, it's the Unions that take it up a level. The whole tone and the dates of the strikes are meant to be as disruptive and unpopular as possible so IMO there is malice there. I don't agree it's to bring down the govt but it is certainly to cause such an upset they are forced to act.

Everyone is unhappy about their pay, not just these groups. It's just they are headed up by particularly strong headed unions so get their voices heard whatever it takes.

There is no malice in wanting to strike for pay for sure, but the way the unions have orchastrated it shows great malice.
    Strikes are supposed to be inconvenient. Otherwise it's just people not getting paid.
    It's malice in the sense that strikes are designed to disrupt and demonstrate how important the striking workers are. But not in the sense that it's a coordinated scheme to get the government out, only to force the government to pay out - this is what I meant. There is no conspiracy here. Unions see that by joining in they all gain from the mounting pressure.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

No point forcing the government to the negotiating table when they're not the employer. We have hospital trusts, rail network operators and so forth who act as the employer and ensure their industry is free from government interference from the workers POV

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
        No point forcing the government to the negotiating table when they're not the employer. We have hospital trusts, rail network operators and so forth who act as the employer and ensure their industry is free from government interference from the workers POV
        But but but its all the unloving tories fault..
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
          You forgot independent panels who recommend pay awards that the government ignores until now when inflation is over double the award.

Shame there is an increasing shortage of nursing staff....
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

They are not malicious, they are simply stopping working altogether, the intent here is to show everyone how p*ssed off they are by not doing what they normally do (also nurses still help is death threatening situations), not to cause harm to Ben and Becky who want to send some parcels somewhere or get a train to the local Christmas market. If they were malicious they would walk around setting houses on fire, or opening your letters and posting your personal details online.

I have to give it to the UK, I don't think there's currently another country that has so many groups on strike (or ever had?). So that's a win, well done.

Btw there should be some sort of national emergency re NHS and waiting times for ambulances, ffs there's a limit to how tulip a service can be.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Agreed but I think personally, and by the dictionary definition, they've been very malicious in the dates they've picked plus jumped in with other groups. Just the sentence above would technically meet the definition of malice so they are the same thing.

Comment

Working...
            X