• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Couldn’t happen to a nicer couple

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I'm so very disappointed in the both of them and that's putting it mildly. She did so much to get to where she was and was inspirational to a lot of people and now they are nothing more than a pair of greedy thieves. I don't normally wish ill on people but I really hope they both get everything they deserve and more from this. Absolute disgrace.
    Actually, if you look in to it, she was never particularly successful as a business. Her skill was appearing to be successful and attracting constant investment and cash injections from 'investors' that she used her 'skills' to draw in.
    Last edited by TestMangler; 8 December 2022, 10:44.
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      I've just been reminded about their super yacht.

Hope she doesn't do a Maxwell....

https://origin-corporate.channel4.com/node/7181446

Scottish multi-millionaire Doug Barrowman spent over £50 million on a 55-metre second-hand yacht and completely redesigned it to his own personal taste. But he wants bigger now, and is willing to spend over £60 million to build it.
      Originally posted by The Spirit of Paul Allen
      It must be awful to be so poor.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

Some, yes. These days it seems that grifting is the business model of choice, especially for the ruling classes. In the before times, people like this would have been reviled - unable to get service at any decent restaurant and spat at in the street. Today they get given peerages by the modern Tory party.
        Unfortunately, this has always been the case. Think of Rotten Boroughs and country seats. Not that long ago (ok, that's relative to age, it was years and years ago) I was one of only two people to stand up and leave a restaurant when "revered artist" Jimmy Boyle was welcomed to his table.

Chief Executive, FCSA
        - Former CEO OF IPSE
        - LtdCo Contractor for 20 odd years before that
        - Former Chair of IPSE nee PCG

Comment

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...harge-28753199

Tory peer Michelle Mone’s businessman husband could be facing a lengthy jail sentence if found guilty of fraud charges in Spain. Billionaire Doug Barrowman has been charged with crimes including corporate tax evasion.

Spanish prosecutors said they were seeking custodial sentences for seven British businessmen, including the 57-year-old, ahead of their trial. Barrowman could be imprisoned for more than five-and-a-half years if convicted. All seven businessmen deny the charges, according to the Mirror.

The five-day public hearing was suspended at the 11th hour, having been due to start late last month. It has now been rescheduled for next May. The indictment relates to claims Barrowman and his co-accused benefitted from a “fraudulent” invoice.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

And a very merry Christmas to them!
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I'll be quite happy to donate money to help fund the prosecution.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

oh no (not) they are being sued by the UK government.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ct-proceedings

The UK government has commenced legal action to recover more than £100m from the company that was awarded two large PPE contracts after the Conservative peer Michelle Mone lobbied ministers.

The claim, confirmed by the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC), is for the full £122m paid to the company, PPE Medpro, under a contract for it to supply 25m sterile surgical gowns that was awarded in June 2020. The DHSC is also seeking to recover the costs of storing and disposing of the gowns, which its officials rejected after an inspection when they arrived at the NHS depot in Daventry.

In December 2020, the company said in a statement issued by a lawyer for its director, Anthony Page, that the gowns, and 210m face masks supplied for £80.85m under another contract, had “undoubtedly kept our NHS workers safe”. In fact, the gowns have never been used in the NHS.

Comment

Get in!
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

In the past we've celebrated governments inability to win legal actions. All the IR35 cases they've lost for example, so the couple can't be too scared with the money they've got to burn on lawyers but this time I hope the government have got their game head on and nail this one.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      In the past we've celebrated governments inability to win legal actions. All the IR35 cases they've lost for example, so the couple can't be too scared with the money they've got to burn on lawyers but this time I hope the government have got their game head on and nail this one.
                      If he's being sued in Spain and sued in England, then it will be exhausting and expensive to deal with 2 prosecutions going on at the same time.

Remember they don't get any of their lawyers fees back unlike Rooney.

Comment

Working...
                      X