• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official Snow Watch 2022

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Official Snow Watch 2022

"Cold weather alert issued in England as lows of -10C possible

Health agency warns of frost and wintry showers across UK from Wednesday as Arctic airmass hits

The UK health security agency (UKHSA) has issued a cold weather alert for England, as temperatures were expected to plunge to -10C in some places with possible wintry showers and snow.

The severe conditions, brought by an Arctic maritime airmass and expected to start on Wednesday evening and last until Monday 12 December, could lead to disruption and increased health risks for vulnerable people.

The level 3 alert, which requires social and healthcare services to take action to protect high-risk groups, comes as temperatures are expected to drop across much of the UK late on Wednesday.

Dr Agostinho Sousa, a consultant in public health medicine at UKHSA, said: “Cold weather can have serious consequences for health, and older people and those with heart or lung conditions can be particularly at risk.

“If you have a pre-existing medical condition, you should heat your home to a temperature that is comfortable for you. In rooms you mostly use, such as the living room or bedroom, try to heat them to at least 18C if you can. Keep your bedroom windows closed at night. Wearing several layers of clothing will keep you warmer than one thicker layer.”"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...--10c-possible

Keep your bedroom windows closed at night
    If you have to tell people to do that when it's -10 outside I don't think they can be saved
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

If you have to tell people to do that when it's -10 outside I don't think they can be saved
      However, motoring-wise, driving standards in winter conditions have not improved over the decades, in fact, they have got worse with the reliance on 4x4s, crossovers etc, with traction control. In the end, it comes down to driving skills and winter tyres and common sense.

My winter-snow kit includes a foldup shovel, a small bag of grit, some food and a sleeping bag. At least 1/2 tank of fuel at all times. I carry chains but have only used them once in 40 years in the UK. Three peak tyres are fantastic and my FWD car and I easily pass struggling 4x4s using summer tyres.

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

These extremes of weather are getting more and more frequent due to the Climate Catastrophe™

First we had high heat in the summer and now sub zero temperatures in winter. This is going to become the norm and people cannot cope.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
          These extremes of weather are getting more and more frequent due to the Climate Catastrophe™

First we had high heat in the summer and now sub zero temperatures in winter. This is going to become the norm and people cannot cope.
          Ask your AI about that. Or anyone who is any way connected to growing food on the land about their harvests recently.
          Perhaps the fact that sub-zero temperatures are now seen as newsworthy might tell you that quite the opposite - freezing weather is NOT the norm when it very much used to be. Hence stories about false spring in November, etc.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Ask your AI about that. Or anyone who is any way connected to growing food on the land about their harvests recently.
            Perhaps the fact that sub-zero temperatures are now seen as newsworthy might tell you that quite the opposite - freezing weather is NOT the norm when it very much used to be. Hence stories about false spring in November, etc.
            It is difficult to say whether sub-zero temperatures are becoming more or less frequent in the UK due to climate change, as there are many factors that can affect the weather. Climate change is a complex and global phenomenon, and local weather patterns can be influenced by a variety of factors, including natural variability, human activity, and other external factors. In general, however, climate change is expected to lead to more extreme weather events, including both hotter and colder temperatures, as well as more frequent and intense storms.
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

The Northern Hemisphere snow extent breaking records.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nh_sce.png
Views:	298
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	4245412
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                The Northern Hemisphere snow extent breaking records.

Click image for larger version

Name:	nh_sce.png
Views:	298
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	4245412
                So is that a strong buy or a Hodl?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

So is that a strong buy or a Hodl?
                  Sell in February, or if you’re Scooter, buy in January, sell in July.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I blame Putin

Comment

Working...
                    X