• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

For Those of you that Get the Horn at Tech

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Those of you that Get the Horn at Tech

Thought the group might be interested in this.

I have just spent the night in Ada Lovelace’s honeymoon suite.

Also the granddaughter of Lord Byron. I never knew that.

Very nice 4 poster and it should be at £249 a night!

Sure you did, gricer.

Comment

She was Lord Byron's daughter.

Byron separated from his wife a month after Ada was born and left England forever. Four months later, he commemorated the parting in a poem that begins, "Is thy face like thy mother's my fair child! ADA! sole daughter of my house and heart?"

Comment

FOG

Comment

I have just renamed my spare bedroom the Oscar Wilde Suite. Available for just £450 per night. He definitely did live there, done extensive research.

PS Virginia Woolf did actually live within walking distance of me. Don't think I've ever met her though.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by Jum In The Morning View Post
            Thought the group might be interested in this.

I have just spent the night in Ada Lovelace’s honeymoon suite.

Also the granddaughter of Lord Byron. I never knew that.

Very nice 4 poster and it should be at £249 a night!
            £249 a night ... didn't realise Travelodge was around in the days of Byron and Lovelace
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

According to a quick Google search, Ada Lovelace had her honeymoon at Ashley Combe (near Minehead):
              Exmoor - Ada Lovelace (exmoor-nationalpark.gov.uk)

That building is now just rubble:
              MSO7970 - Ashley Combe House, Porlock - The Historic Environment Record for Exmoor National Park (exmoorher.co.uk)

So, it's unlikely that anyone is renting out her old room.

I did also find a hotel in Durham with an "Ada Lovelace suite" (which I'm deliberately not linking to). However:
              a) It was just named after her, and not where she spent her honeymoon.
              b) It doesn't contain a 4 poster bed.

Comment

Mmm, Linda Lovelace sounds interesting, wonder what her ghost charges for a ***.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                X