• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: The World

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: The World

Population is being reported as nearing 8bn.

Is this already past the sustainable level?

Maybe counties should have a target population growth level, under international agreements.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/
    Last edited by Protagoras; 14 November 2022, 19:53.

Don't worry India, who will have the biggest population at some point next year is already on it,

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...pulous-country

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Peak population.

The latest projections by the United Nations suggest that the world's population could grow to around 8.5 billion in 2030 and 9.7 billion in 2050. It is projected to reach a peak of around 10.4 billion people during the 2080s and to remain at that level until 2100

And yes, it's sustainable if people would stop invading other countries. Or fighting within their own. And stupid environmentalists would stop protesting about GMO like Golden Rice.

Oh, and if you think there's too many humans, please report to your nearest processing centre. The environment thanks you for your sacrifice.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It's rather depressing to note that many countries with large populations and among the most vulnerable to climate change, which of course is not generally of their own making.

I did hear a suggestion that the biggest contribution one can make to the future of the world is to have no offspring

Comment

It is self-limiting because, the way we're going, large areas of the planet won't be fit for human habitation.

And even if we can get on top of climate change, there's bound to be some other tulip come along caused by our rampant consumption.

Then there's always nuclear annihilation. It wouldn't be human to invent such a weapon, and for some despot not to use it.

Cheerful.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

One also has to consider that most of these people have a very minimal existence, many quite rightly will want to improve towards western standards with the financial & Eco costs that entails.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It took 123 years to go from 1bln to 2bln and 11 years to go from 7bln to 8bln humans. The next 1bln will come mostly from just 7 countries in Africa and Asia.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I've seen the overpopulation argument quite robustly debunked (in their view) by its critics. Extending modern farming techniques across the world and dramatically reducing meat consumption in favour of more efficient food sources quite trivially shows we can produce far more calories than we do now.

I don't think this seems like a great idea... to have as many people as possible isn't an ambition IMO. But it does seem we could reasonably support a lot more people if survival is all that matters.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

why if I am a prosperous African would I want to subsist? I want a BMW and an iPhone.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    I've seen the overpopulation argument quite robustly debunked (in their view) by its critics. Extending modern farming techniques across the world and dramatically reducing meat consumption in favour of more efficient food sources quite trivially shows we can produce far more calories than we do now.

I don't think this seems like a great idea... to have as many people as possible isn't an ambition IMO. But it does seem we could reasonably support a lot more people if survival is all that matters.
                    Food is one thing but billions of poor people probably aspire to having more than just a full belly. In fact, the good life we've enjoyed for decades. Cars, heated homes, travel etc etc. Even if that can be achieved with zero carbon, think of all the raw materials that would be consumed.

Unfortunately, all the trappings of modern life are only sustainable when they're only available to a small minority.
                    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Working...
                    X