• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Election winning slogan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Election winning slogan

"Jeremy Hunt: everyone will be paying more tax after autumn statement

Chancellor also warns of severe cuts to services as he prepares for his biggest test in his new role

Everyone will be paying “a bit more tax” after the autumn budget, the chancellor has said, as he asked everyone to make sacrifices.

Warning of severe cuts to public services, Jeremy Hunt said there would be “very difficult decisions” made but claimed his plan would show the way through “difficult times”.

Hunt faces his biggest test as chancellor on Thursday, following the chaos of Liz Truss’s mini-budget. The Resolution Foundation estimated on Saturday that “Trussonomics” had cost Britain about £30bn.

He told Sky News: “Well, we are all going to be paying a bit more tax, I’m afraid … but it is not just going to be bad news."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...tumn-statement

No one with a brain cell is going to vote Tory anyway, they might as well stick all taxes to 95% and have a good old laugh at watching the middle and upper earners heading to the food banks.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Warning of severe cuts to public services

So Labour just needs to keep the taxes in place and improve public services a tiny bit.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        keep the taxes in place

If, by keep in place, you mean raise to a large power, then they are sure to vigorously "keep them in place".

Comment

At least he's up front about it. It seems fairly obvious something has to give, somewhere.
          Labour are saying they wouldn't raise taxes or make cuts, claiming they can find £55bn by cracking down on the super-wealthy - that sounds a little too good to be true to me.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Labour are saying they wouldn't raise taxes or make cuts, claiming they can find £55bn by cracking down on the super-wealthy - that sounds a little too good to be true to me.
            They tried that back in the 1970s, and it didn't work out too well as I recall.
            Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

At least he's up front about it. It seems fairly obvious something has to give, somewhere.
              Because it is. The super wealthy don't have to pay UK taxes if they don't want to. We learnt that in the 70s.
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Labour won't need to raise taxes as Sunak/Hunt will do it for them. Blair/Brown kept to Major/Clarke spending plans for their first term.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Labour won't need to raise taxes as Sunak/Hunt will do it for them. Blair/Brown kept to Major/Clarke spending plans for their first term.
                  Labour are saying the planned rises aren't needed. Of course it's quite easy for them to oppose them now, then campaign on "no tax rises (except the super-rich)" rather than "repeal the previous rises".
                  We are told non-dom is only a few billion a year for instance, is there really £50+bn of avoided tax? It seems a lot.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

We are told non-dom is only a few billion a year for instance, ...
                    We are told by non-dom owners of newspapers, etc, that it's a tiny amount compared to something else that can be used as a distraction.
                    It's about £8-10 Billion a year from "non-dom" status of individuals.

https://web.archive.org/web/20131021...ame&issue=1351

If Hector went after the offshore schemes used to reduce/evade tax in the UK, that would generate a lot more, but would deeply upset the right wing and super-rich who rely on "tax the poor" as a means to their end.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X