• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A long walk to the buffet car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A long walk to the buffet car

Switzerland sets record with world's longest passenger train

A Swiss railway operator has set a new record for completing a journey with the world's longest passenger train.
    The 1.9km (1.2 mile) train, which is composed of 100 coaches, completed a spectacular 25km (15.5 mile) journey through the Alps.
    The world record attempt took place to highlight Switzerland's engineering achievements, as well as to mark 175 years of Swiss railways.
    Link included if you want to gawp over a massive train going through a narrow tunnel.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

They should provide a train within the train to help you get from one end to the other

Comment

its the start of Snowpiercer!
      Growing old is mandatory
      Growing up is optional

Comment

Can you imagine the bus replacement service for this!
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I just realised some London tube stations are nearer.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Impressive, I wonder how many engines that took. In terms of freight trains, I think they go up to about 4km in Alaska, perhaps more in other parts of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              Impressive, I wonder how many engines that took. In terms of freight trains, I think they go up to about 4km in Alaska, perhaps more in other parts of the world.
              none.
              It's a cog railway, running on overhead electric. All coaches have drive I believe. No locomotive.

They probably took the entire rolling stock out of action for a day to link them up to show off.
              It's off-peak tourist season right now.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                Can you imagine the bus replacement service for this!
                Imagine? I use them most days.

Fun fact. Swiss railways were largely built by the help of British engineers, which is why they generally drive on the left.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                X