• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A long walk to the buffet car"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Can you imagine the bus replacement service for this!
    Imagine? I use them most days.

Fun fact. Swiss railways were largely built by the help of British engineers, which is why they generally drive on the left.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Impressive, I wonder how many engines that took. In terms of freight trains, I think they go up to about 4km in Alaska, perhaps more in other parts of the world.
    none.
    It's a cog railway, running on overhead electric. All coaches have drive I believe. No locomotive.

They probably took the entire rolling stock out of action for a day to link them up to show off.
    It's off-peak tourist season right now.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Impressive, I wonder how many engines that took. In terms of freight trains, I think they go up to about 4km in Alaska, perhaps more in other parts of the world.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I just realised some London tube stations are nearer.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Can you imagine the bus replacement service for this!

Leave a comment:

• Halo Jones
    replied
    its the start of Snowpiercer!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    They should provide a train within the train to help you get from one end to the other

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    started a topic A long walk to the buffet car

A long walk to the buffet car

Switzerland sets record with world's longest passenger train

A Swiss railway operator has set a new record for completing a journey with the world's longest passenger train.
    The 1.9km (1.2 mile) train, which is composed of 100 coaches, completed a spectacular 25km (15.5 mile) journey through the Alps.
    The world record attempt took place to highlight Switzerland's engineering achievements, as well as to mark 175 years of Swiss railways.
    Link included if you want to gawp over a massive train going through a narrow tunnel.

Working...
X