• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Dying Lights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: Dying Lights

Shoppers stock up on candles over fears of blackouts

Truss refuses to rule out winter shortages if unable to import power from the continent

Shoppers are stocking up on candles to light their homes amid concerns that Britain could be hit by energy blackouts this winter.

Sales of candles grew 9pc in the four weeks to September 4 compared with the same period a year earlier, figures from Kantar revealed.

It comes after Liz Truss refused to rule out the risk of power shortages this winter if Britain is unable to import power from the continent. The National Grid has warned there is a chance that homes could be cut off.

Fraser McKevitt, head of retail and consumer insight at Kantar, said: “It's been in the news about possible blackouts, and so in the same way that some people were stockpiling before the pandemic, some people are now getting prepared for this winter.”

Sales of duvets and electric blankets were up 8pc compared to last year, Kantar said, and households also raced to buy air fryers.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...ars-blackouts/

Electric blankets will be a good investment for the blackouts.
    England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
      People are getting:
      • thermal underwear
      • blankets
      • camping lights
      • oodies
      • onesies
      • camping stoves
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I imagine portable generators are selling well too.
        Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

I wish someone hadn't thrown that primus stove away, it was cheaper to run than the camping gaz thing. Of which I have two.

Fully stocked up with generators (see the inverter thread), inverters (see the inverter thread), camping gaz lamp, camping gaz blowlamp (well it'll warm a saucepan at a pinch), shotgun cartridges, Cobalt Thorium G, and more Morrisons baked beans than you can shake a stick at.

Now where can I source a leisure battery locally, that's the question. .
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post

Halfords?
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Halfords?
              Yes that had crossed what little remains of my mind. .
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                I wish someone hadn't thrown that primus stove away, it was cheaper to run than the camping gaz thing. Of which I have two.

Fully stocked up with generators (see the inverter thread), inverters (see the inverter thread), camping gaz lamp, camping gaz blowlamp (well it'll warm a saucepan at a pinch), shotgun cartridges, Cobalt Thorium G, and more Morrisons baked beans than you can shake a stick at.

With all those baked beans you should work out how to store the methane so you can use that to heat the next tin up.

Comment

“Speaking at an event organised by the Financial Times, John Pettigrew said in a “worst case” scenario power would have to be shut off in parts of Britain “probably between 4pm and 7pm in the evenings on those weekdays when it’s really, really cold in January and February”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...unt-cuts-back/

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
                    There are 12v and USB versions.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                    X