• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Excellent result.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excellent result.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...igure-sum.html

Sous-chef, 40, who was the only seafarer to sue P&O Ferries for unfair dismissal after it suddenly sacked 800 staff wins 'five-figure sum'
    • P&O Ferries caused widespread outrage after suddenly sacking 800 workers
    • All of the firm's workers accepted a pay-off for what happened apart from one
    • John Lansdown, 40, won an out-of-court settlement, believed to be five figures
    • His six-month legal battle resulted in a higher settlement than pay-off offered
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Good for him!

Comment

Sousper
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Eh? Summat wrong here.

£35mil payout, 800 workings that's 45k ea. Granted rough but it's well in to five figures.

Reports at the time said that no worker would receive less than £15,000 while more than 40 were in line for compensation higher than £100,000.
        So that negates my rough 45k but no worker would receive less that £15k which is five figures.

-John Lansdown, 40, sued P&O on the grounds of unfair dismissal and has won an out-of-court settlement, believed to be in the five-figure region.
        But everyone got in a five figure region as the minimum so that makes no sense at all.

Got to wonder why the other 799 accepted a pay out. P&O broke the law so all 800 had them over a barrell. First offer of pay out is always a low baller and they would undoubtedly get more when facing court and I would bet more if it went to court. So why on earth did the other 799 accept? Surely it would have been a no brainer to go to the next level? Someone (or 799) people fecked up I'd say.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Eh? Summat wrong here.

£35mil payout, 800 workings that's 45k ea. Granted rough but it's well in to five figures.

So that negates my rough 45k but no worker would receive less that £15k which is five figures.

But everyone got in a five figure region as the minimum so that makes no sense at all.

Got to wonder why the other 799 accepted a pay out. P&O broke the law so all 800 had them over a barrell. First offer of pay out is always a low baller and they would undoubtedly get more when facing court and I would bet more if it went to court. So why on earth did the other 799 accept? Surely it would have been a no brainer to go to the next level? Someone (or 799) people fecked up I'd say.
          Having been in the forced redundancy area personally Employers HR teams are quite ruthless and accomplished in these cases. I held out for more which they didn't like at all. After the papers were signed I thanked them for the large wodge of cash and my P45 and said my new employer was pleased I was starting the next day. Very satisfying.

Their offer is presented as the only option.

I was hoping one of the big employment lawyers would do a no win no fee and ream P&O like they were NLyUK with a strap on.

He was offered less than his salary.
          But Mr Lansdown, a sous-chef from Kent on cross-Channel routes, refused as he would have taken no more than his £30,827 annual salary.
          He is now getting more.

After a six-month legal battle, the company conceded that no consultation took place before Mr Lansdown was sacked and that he was in fact unfairly dismissed.

A slight catch from the settlement, however, is that Mr Lansdown agreed not to disclose the sum paid to him but it is understood to be substantially higher than the pay-off he refused.
          Last edited by vetran; 5 October 2022, 15:13.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Odd P&O afraid of their dirty laundry coming out in public.....
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Odd P&O afraid of their dirty laundry coming out in public.....
                Not forgetting that P&O Ferries is just a brand name bought by DP World of United Arab Emirates.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                X