• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tory Scum Rebels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDude View Post
    It doesn't matter what the highest tax band is - those with real money never pay it.
    Exactly! That’s why many of the Tory Scum MPs are pretty content at having it kept - but watch them go nuts if somehody proposes to tax dividends at source disregarding if they are paid to local tax resident or offshore tax dodging location

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

I'm not a fan, but it's hard to judge Sunak by his recent policies, which were largely forced by covid. Admittedly, the tax rises were a bit stupid/unnecessary (other economies were not raising taxes into a recession). He professed fairly right wing views before his time in the Treasury (and again in the leadership campaign), so it's more likely that he's just irritated people as being a bland centrist when governing. But you can't really describe Sunak (or his policies) as left of centre. He takes a different right-of-centre view to the free marketeers, he's more of a fiscal conservative, but he's still right of centre.
      He threw money about where at least 10% became open fraud, he enlisted the banks in the loans but didn't make them responsible for the fraud(kyc). He gave grants to the self employed that basically meant most made more during covid than before.

Not a rocket scientist.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
        But it matters to us, it is the little guys, like inside IR35 contractors working in the City who end up paying the 45% rate + 15% employer NICs + 3% employee NICs.
        You got wrong site mate - this is the Friends of Old Labour forum

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
          I'm quite amused that you still believe you can vote in a govt, from LibLabCon that will improve things for the better for the majority of people.

LobLabCon dropped income tax from 50% to 45% with zero fuss - that was at the time when UK was borrowing like crazy

Comment

I'm not a fan, but it's hard to judge Sunak by his recent policies, which were largely forced by covid. Admittedly, the tax rises were a bit stupid/unnecessary (other economies were not raising taxes into a recession). He professed fairly right wing views before his time in the Treasury (and again in the leadership campaign), so it's more likely that he's just irritated people as being a bland centrist when governing. But you can't really describe Sunak (or his policies) as left of centre. He takes a different right-of-centre view to the free marketeers, he's more of a fiscal conservative, but he's still right of centre.
            He may be. His recent taxation policies weren't. I understand why he thought them necessary, but - and it's a big but - he refused to consider any alternatives to his/HMT's process to resolve the issues. In effect he was accumulating money to pay off debts while impoverishing the working population.

Truss's intention is to get the economy moving and growing by putting spending power, macro and micro, back on the agenda. That makes the country richer and brings forward the time to start paying off the debts. It also reduces the interest on government borrowing, saving further expenditure.

Both have a clear end goal, and both are pretty long term aims. Which is the better solution I have no idea, but I know which I prefer.

What we can't do is judge either one on the basis of 14 days, and it's worth remembering that the only major bone of contention causing all the grief is dropping Brown's 45% tax rate. Which was always his plan anyway.
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

but he's still right of centre.
              He was going to do anything (especially spending other peoples money) in order to become PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

He was going to do anything (especially spending other peoples money) in order to become PM.
                ...mmm where I've I seen that before.....
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

He threw money about where at least 10% became open fraud, he enlisted the banks in the loans but didn't make them responsible for the fraud(kyc). He gave grants to the self employed that basically meant most made more during covid than before.

Not a rocket scientist.
                  All sounds pretty right-wing to me.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    All sounds pretty right-wing to me.
                    Only if you think Gordon B'ruin was competent and left wing. Or that taking millions of people out of taxation is a truly right wing policy.

https://www.insider.co.uk/news/we-sh...-says-26460681

While Brown's response to the crisis - bailing out Lloyds Bank and Royal Bank of Scotland - helped stem the worst of its affects, the UK still fell into a deep recession.

He also brokered a $1trn global stimulus package, hailed as “historic” by Barack Obama at the G20 in London in April 2009, but he conceded to having neglected the domestic audience, adding that “I spent too much time trying to solve the financial crisis and organise the international community”.
                    Brown’s Treasury has since been criticised for regulating financial services too loosely, arguably making oversight less effective by stripping the newly-independent Bank of England of its watchdog functions.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                      You survived until now, so you can survive until the economy is sorted out first.
                      "Emergency" interest rates since December 2008. Don't hold your breath waiting for anything to be sorted out.

Comment

Working...
                      X