• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pension funds getting margin called....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Billions worth ... but no one complained as they didn't 'see' the effect straight away. The long term effect is starting to bite now as people look at how small their pension funds are.
    it was only defined benefits he strip mined. And they are either paying out as expected, or gone bankrupt (like BHS, but Phili Green had more to do with crashing that than Brown). Defined contributions were safe from that pillaging.

At the time they DB funds were rolling in cash, that they would never need (cos the amount they pay out is known). So they were stripped of excess cash. Then came the 2007/8 crisis, Brextulip, Covid and now #Trusster****

Plenty did complain at the time. But they were people in the know.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

The funds were holding gilts. Gilts are/were 'safe'.
      The banks did the margin call on the funds as the arse fell out of the gilts market.
      Or that's what I gathered from some research googling last night.

IANAFC
      No they weren't holding gilts they entered trades to buy/sell gilts at a future date at a given price i.e. derivatives. If the price moves too far they might not hold enough cash to cover the losses when the trades become due.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

No they weren't holding gilts they entered trades to buy/sell gilts at a future date at a given price i.e. derivatives. If the price moves too far they might not hold enough cash to cover the losses when the trades become due.
        ahh. ok/.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

it was only defined benefits he strip mined. And they are either paying out as expected, or gone bankrupt (like BHS, but Phili Green had more to do with crashing that than Brown). Defined contributions were safe from that pillaging.

At the time they DB funds were rolling in cash, that they would never need (cos the amount they pay out is known). So they were stripped of excess cash. Then came the 2007/8 crisis, Brextulip, Covid and now #Trusster****

Plenty did complain at the time. But they were people in the know.
          I was talking about the tax credits on the investment returns/divs held by the pension schemes, including the DC ..... I thoughts this tax raid hit the DC pensions too? Happy to be proved wrong though.
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I was talking about the tax credits on the investment returns/divs held by the pension schemes, including the DC ..... I thoughts this tax raid hit the DC pensions too? Happy to be proved wrong though.
            you may be right
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

The funds were holding gilts. Gilts are/were 'safe'.
              The banks did the margin call on the funds as the arse fell out of the gilts market.
              Or that's what I gathered from some research googling last night.
              The issue is that pension funds engaged in marginal trades (otherwise there would have been no margin calls).

This should have never been allowed in the first place (to anybody, but at the very least not to regulated pension funds).

Comment

you may be right
                Woo hoo ... that's a first

Comment

Woo hoo ... that's a first
                  Millions of warty's with Typewriters?
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It gets better….

”The sharp moves in gilt yields sparked demands from some asset managers for clients to stump up extra cash to cover shortfalls in their derivatives positions. Some pension funds were forced to sell gilts to raise cash, exacerbating the market mayhem. BlackRock, which sits between the pension schemes and banks on such derivatives trades, told its clients that it would no longer demand additional collateral. BlackRock is “not proceeding with any further recapitalization events until further notice”, said the email to LDI clients, which was seen by the Financial Times and was sent at about 11am, before the Bank of England announced its emergency intervention to stabilise the gilt market. Fogarty said: “If you run out of collateral they were saying, ‘we will close the position’, without going back to ask for more money from the fund. It is protecting their positions against contagion but it is not protecting their pension funds.” He added that other LDI managers put in place similar restrictions. A pensions expert said: “BlackRock would have been on the hook for a default in its LDI funds if it had not taken these steps and that is obviously a reputational hit that it wanted to avoid.”

https://www.ft.com/content/0f32fdf3-...0-d087860cfe6c

Noice… so it was even worse than just margin calls - excellent market oversight…

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Millions of warty's with Typewriters?
                      Seriously fella. Stop trying to infect every thread with your obsession of me. I'm sure everyone else is finding it tedious

Comment

Working...
                      X