• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mini Budget aka Fiscal Statement

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any word on the employer NI levy? Assume that stays, or am I getting double bubble given that I am currently inside?

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
      Any word on the employer NI levy? Assume that stays, or am I getting double bubble given that I am currently inside?
      Double bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by JPC View Post

I hear you Simon but lets actually look at this.

I absolutely pass all the HMRC checks re IR35 i am clearly outside. The only reason my current client pushed me inside were reasons i can't explain here. However. I have been informed already they will revert.

Based on a Qdos review and as above i am rightly permitted to claim i am outside from that date, when in reality i should be restrospectively reimbursed on my financial losses. This is in accordance to their own rules not 'what doesn't feel right to do'. This is what HMRC seems to eb towards too much, ie mind games, playing on such as attempting to bind Tax evasion and avoidance in the same group, and dare i say efficiency is snarled at also.

We shouldn't be bullied into submission here.
        But the rules do not change until April 23 I believe. So the rules applied retrospectively and you signed a contract based on what was offered.
        But yeah what a waste of millions of pounds of tax payers money and time at HMRC over the last 5 or so years, plus all the corporate compliance work, etc etc

Comment

I absolutely pass all the HMRC checks re IR35 i am clearly outside. The only reason my current client pushed me inside were reasons i can't explain here. However. I have been informed already they will revert.

Based on a Qdos review and as above i am rightly permitted to claim i am outside from that date, when in reality i should be restrospectively reimbursed on my financial losses. This is in accordance to their own rules not 'what doesn't feel right to do'. This is what HMRC seems to eb towards too much, ie mind games, playing on such as attempting to bind Tax evasion and avoidance in the same group, and dare i say efficiency is snarled at also.

Just bear in mind that HMRC has a clear hook for your change in status and that you don't really want an investigation, even if you ultimately win. On the upside, there will probably be thousands of contractors thinking the same thing, so you may be lucky or it may take several years to find that you were unlucky, at the very least. YMMV, but I agree with the other posters calling it a bad idea.

Comment

Comment

It's like the end of prohibition - but only for those who live in executive new builds.

Comment

Even if you are right I doubt HMRC would just agree and give you a rebate, they will most likely fight you and claim you were inside (they always do that). This is both stressful and time consuming and there's no guarantee you'll win, so it's purely a matter of risk taking and having the will to fight. Yes I agree we shouldn't be bullied into submission, but people often bail as it's just not worth the trouble / stress. I mean HMRC official stance is bully and scare people and this isn't any different, heck the whole reform was about this, no one wanted to kick anything off with HMRC, hence blanket bans on ltds.

Comment

JPC Consensus is for an easy life is change clients for a contract outside next year, rather than stay with this client.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

HMRC: Did you accept that this role was Inside before April 2023
                    JPC: Yes
                    HMRC: Do you accept that is role is Outside after April 2023
                    JPC: Yes
                    HMRC: Has anything changed with your working practices?
                    JPC: No
                    HMRC: We’re you lying then or are you lying now
                    JPC: Erm…..
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

For me it provides options. As before, it was blanket bans. Which is why I stopped contracting.

I have always had the opinion it's employed or ltd. Nothing else. And inside is just a temp worker.

I turned down more roles that I took up because of this. To ensure I was always compliant. First thing I would say to a potential new client. Why do you need a contractor.

If the answer was to compliment the team, or the classic(Because we cannot get a perm) I use to say no thank you. This will still be the case for now. And I think if people are careless they will be stung hard.

However Just think if they removed IR35 all together. Most big companies would not employee anyone. Only contractors.

Interested to see what the review brings. could end up being a poisoned chalice.

Comment

Working...
                      X