• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The separate thread about how awful Queen Elizabeth was and the Royal Family is

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's wrong with just having an elected Parliament and PM? (Personally, I can't see the point of the monarchy in this day and age, nor the HoL for that matter.)
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
      What's wrong with just having an elected Parliament and PM? (Personally, I can't see the point of the monarchy in this day and age, nor the HoL for that matter.)
      You are kidding right? We do nothing but attempt to tear down every PM we've had.. like ever. So how is that going to rally the country with a unified view and vision going forward?

Remember only 45% of the country voted for the current government and I'd guess much less than that would have voted for Liz Truss. The other 55% absolutely despise what we've got. How can that person be head of state for a country?
      Last edited by northernladuk; 16 September 2022, 14:55.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        I'll try again

So politically biased which will still cause a bun fight and division. And something to do with Europe. We have voted to have nothing to do with Europe so why would you have a head of state that is connected. That's just ludicrous

Ah the old boys club and political group. General public is going to love that then. So we still haven't had a chance to elect the person. I mean. We've a long history of voting the right people in to our politics haven't we. Jesus. We've a long history of that not working very well.

It's an ex politician voted in by current politicians all part of the old boys club. That's really not going to happen is it

Monarchy doesn't receive a salary for royal duties, their private inhertied wealth is arguable yes but they bring in 1.9 billion to the economy and pain over 350m tax on their private income. You can say good by to all that and hello to someone from a group well known for fiddling their taxes

Utter load of guff which will do nothing but put someone in charge the public has no say in, is from an area that has been proven to corrupt as it is and no one trusts, putting power back in to the hands of the old firm and is picked from the most unpopular and divisive set of people out there.

Involving policitians is just the very worst thing you can do. Look how bad we've had it for many years and they are the most hated set of public servants around. How is that going to be any bigger. That list is an utter joke.

What about all the ceremony, history, head of the army as well as many many charities and much more. All this smacks of a blind hatred of the Monarchy without having a clue what they do, are and represent and being totally deluded about what an ex politician can bring to the party.

I'd rather just give the job to Helen Miram.
        All I'm saying is that if a country of corrupt bunga bunga scumbags like italy has managed to find a reasonable way of electing an head of state that is impartial and with barely any legal/political powers, and you guys think this is not doable in the uk, this says a lot about the morality of the politicians and people in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

All I'm saying is that if a country of corrupt bunga bunga scumbags like italy has managed to find a reasonable way of electing an head of state that is impartial and with barely no legal/political powers, and you guys think this is not doable in the uk, this says a lot about the morality of the politicians and people in this country.
          But they still have political powers

1. In parliamentary affairs:
            • Nominating Senators for life (that may be up to five altogether).
            • Calling the Chambers of Parliament into extraordinary session and dissolving them.
            • Calling elections and fixing the date for the first meeting of the new Chambers.
          2. In legislative matters:
            • Authorizing the presentation of proposed governmental bills to Parliament.
            • Promulgating the laws approved in Parliament.
            • Remanding to the Chambers (with an explanation) and asking for reconsideration of a bill (permitted once per bill).
          3. Appertaining to popular sovereignty.
          And does anyone know how the head of Italy is right now? How is that making their country great? Is he the heart of the country and worldwide? Is he bringing in 1.9M to the country? Is the world proud to have that person leading the country? Will the same number of people mourn the passing of Italys PM.

It's just pointless.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Is the world proud to have that person leading the country?
            Are british people proud of having a monarch leading the country? Should they be? Should they be proud if that monarch and their ancestors are the cause of centuries of deaths, violence and exploitation?

Are you proud of what your queen and her family have done?

Comment

Are british people proud of having a monarch leading the country? Should they be? Should they be proud if that monarch and their ancestors are the cause of centuries of deaths, violence and exploitation?

Have you looked out the window, on the interenet, the news? Politicians and heads of state had nothing to do with those bad centuries? Your ancesters were probably pretty horrible people and took part in it as well but I bet you won't shoulder the blame for what they did.
              Last edited by northernladuk; 16 September 2022, 15:40.

Comment

The British Empire only really took off after Charles I, therefore was the will of an elected Parliament.

According to the BBC only 22% would want to abolish the monarchy.

Also constitutionally an elected President WOULD have powers thereby diminishing the PM as in France.

Also to note is that in this country we have never had the continental extremes of right and left.

But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

This is the current generation, should have skipped and gone straight to William:

Click image for larger version  Name:	TELEMMGLPICT000058725877_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqhZJ9vnP3TZj6dX4F0Tnhrlt1EhdK4aiwcWMQPYeW9P0.jpeg?imwidth=680.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.3 KB ID:	4233211

Click image for larger version  Name:	_108362142_025261369.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.6 KB ID:	4233212

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                    This is the current generation, should have skipped and gone straight to William:
                    What is your point? I am absolutely certain what ever it is you are making it very badly. Andrew is a pillock and brought it all on himself. Is Charles a pillock for meeting SAville when no one knew? Two completely different situations doesn't make for a decent point or argument.

I am 100% sure in 20 years time there will be a picture of William with someone that turned out to be a wrong un.

Comment

I am not comfortable that not all people in the land are equal under the law.

For example,

“Queen’s Consent” (“King’s Consent”)
                      https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...queens-consent

Secret Wills
                      https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/loc...ls-2022-09-13/

Inheritance tax
                      https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/r...-b1025110.html

Comment

Working...
                      X