• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NC500

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NC500

Has anyone done the NC500? We are going to be doing it over a long weekend - a hotel in Inverness at the start and the end, with maybe two or three overnights at camp sites on the route as back-up in preference to a hotel - will see how the day goes and book on the evening. When I say camping I mean a tent sleeping bag and not faffing with camping stoves…. Just to sleep. How does the route look for campsites by cafes and pubs with food etc?

Not sure about campsites as we went posh but there seemed to be quite a few around and close to settlements with decent pubs and eateries. However even for campsites stuff books up well in advance as the season is short and the route popular. It's a spectacular and scenic journey and well worth doing. We also went over to Orkney and stayed there for a couple of nights. One of our best holidays

A long weekend is way too short, you need at least two weeks

Comment

Load of campsites around the loop apparently, mostly fairly rough and ready but shouldn't be an issue. Just watch out for amateurs in 8m mobile homes who miss the passing places and won't - or more likely can't - reverse their rigs.

Above all, take your time. Many seem to treat it as a rally stage. Friends have done it and found it mostly breathtakingly lovely.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
        Has anyone done the NC500? We are going to be doing it over a long weekend - a hotel in Inverness at the start and the end, with maybe two or three overnights at camp sites on the route as back-up in preference to a hotel - will see how the day goes and book on the evening. When I say camping I mean a tent sleeping bag and not faffing with camping stoves…. Just to sleep. How does the route look for campsites by cafes and pubs with food etc?
        Gricer!

Comment

I really want to do this. However my research showed a lack of hotels with disabled facilities on the route. Those that had facilities were booked up months in advance.
          Former IPSE member
          My Website

Comment

<placeholder>

Wiiiiiilmslooooooooooooow!

[[Canned laughter]]

</placeholder>

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Wiiiiiilmslooooooooooooow!

[[Canned laughter]]
              Hee hee. Was waiting for that
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X