• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

£400 energy payment: Fears landlords to keep renters' rebate

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

£400 energy payment: Fears landlords to keep renters' rebate

Tenants whose bills are included in their rent could miss out on the government's £400 energy rebate because it is paid to their landlord, warn charities.

Housing charity Shelter said this group were "at the mercy of their landlord passing on this much-needed support".

An estimated 585,000 households - 13% of private renters - have energy bills included in their rent.

The government said it expected landlords to pass on the discount.

The National Residential Landlords Association (NRLA) also said that where a landlord was acting as an energy reseller, "they should be passing on the savings to their tenant in line with [the regulator] Ofgem's requirements".
    If I am a landlord paying the tenant's energy bills, why would they get the payout as my costs soar? Seems crazy to the point I wonder if I have missed something. Are landlords supposed to pass on the payment and then put the rent up?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

If I am a landlord paying the tenant's energy bills, why would they get the payout as my costs soar? Seems crazy to the point I wonder if I have missed something. Are landlords supposed to pass on the payment and then put the rent up?
    If you have put up the tenant's bills, then yes, you should be passing it on to them. If you have not increased their bills then there shouldn't be an issue.

Many landlords will be putting up the rent to cover the rise in energy costs, and then choosing to pocket the extra cash, so it's just more profit for them, and not actually helping to address the issue.

Do you see the difference?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

And some councils are making it very difficult to claim.

You will need the following to complete the application form:
      • Name
      • Address
      • Council Tax Reference Number (You will need to enter the first 7 digits – this number begins with 5)
      • Property Reference Number
      • Bank Account Details
      • Completed application form
      • Photographic ID
      The council will carry out a Counter Fraud Identity and Bank Check with a credit reference agency. These checks are used to speed up the decision process. These checks will leave the following footprint on your credit file:

Please allow 3 weeks from completion of the application for the payment to reach your bank account.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        And some councils are making it very difficult to claim.

You will need the following to complete the application form:
        • Name
        • Address
        • Council Tax Reference Number (You will need to enter the first 7 digits – this number begins with 5)
        • Property Reference Number
        • Bank Account Details
        • Completed application form
        • Photographic ID
        The council will carry out a Counter Fraud Identity and Bank Check with a credit reference agency. These checks are used to speed up the decision process. These checks will leave the following footprint on your credit file:

Please allow 3 weeks from completion of the application for the payment to reach your bank account.
        They can just put it on the council tax bill.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

If you have put up the tenant's bills, then yes, you should be passing it on to them. If you have not increased their bills then there shouldn't be an issue.

Many landlords will be putting up the rent to cover the rise in energy costs, and then choosing to pocket the extra cash, so it's just more profit for them, and not actually helping to address the issue.

If a scummy landlord puts up rent and pockets the cash, that's a separate problem to be solved. If I'm paying the bill, I should get any rebate on the bill.
          Landlords cannot keep changing the rent every 3-6 months as the price cap goes up (or down). They are going to be trapped by contracts losing them money the way prices are rocketing, so surely they should get the rebate.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

They can just put it on the council tax bill.
            In most cases it will be automatic. From the link I posted:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	_126099535_fuel_payment_flow_chart_2x640-nc.png
Views:	131
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	4228563

This is done via the energy supplier, unlike the previous rebate which WAS council-tax linked.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Possibly missing something but the rent can only be changed according to the contract. I doubt most contracts include the right of the landlord to put up the rent willy nilly. The student ones for my daughters didn't and they included bills.

Now if you entered into a new contract that raised because of new bills you may have a point.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

In most cases it will be automatic. From the link I posted:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	_126099535_fuel_payment_flow_chart_2x640-nc.png
Views:	131
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	4228563

This is done via the energy supplier, unlike the previous rebate which WAS council-tax linked.
                I know three councils plus another in London (K&C) and they all do it differently. One of them insist on claiming on-line.
                "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

I know three councils plus another in London (K&C) and they all do it differently. One of them insist on claiming on-line.
                  There is a list somewhere on MSE, the site found by Martin Lewis, of how different councils will pay the £150 rebate.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm surprised there at that many rentals with bills included. I don't think I've ever had that arrangement when renting and I don't do it when letting. Is it because there are certain situations that require it, like multi person rentals or is it seen as a money grab where a landlord can a make a bit extra over egging the bills?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X