• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax the childless

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If automation ever really takes off like sci-fi promises, the entire working/money system will be in massive upheaval anyway.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      If automation ever really takes off like sci-fi promises, the entire working/money system will be in massive upheaval anyway.
      Arthur C Clarke & Asimov have been right most of the time.

Its already happening we need to plan for it!
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's a ridiculous article, so why not have some fun with it. Obviously there are going to be anomalies and grey areas, so how would you answer the following? (I'm sure there will be others, feel free to add yours.)

If an only child dies, how long should HMRC wait before sending the grieving parents a tax bill?
        Would infertile couples be able to claim a medical discount or exemption, or would it only apply to the infertile individual?
        Is there an IR35-style appeals process for same-sex couples, and ugly people who can't get a partner?
        If you find out your child isn't actually yours (Jeremy Kyle show stylee), will you have to pay back-dated tax in full immediately, or can it be spread over several years?
        If a couple divorce, should the parent who fails to get custody be subsequently treated as childless from the date of the divorce?

I imagine the trans lobby will be spitting out their dummies

His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Arthur C Clarke & Asimov have been right most of the time.

Its already happening we need to plan for it!
          People have been saying "it'll be here in 10 years' since the 1950s though. I would agree we're finally at the point where AI/ML can genuinely start to make this feasible - it's really quite incredible some of the stuff that's now being done and the speed it's moving at.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
            It's a ridiculous article, so why not have some fun with it.
            Maybe you should get a lump-sum per birth?

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

I know that was tongue in cheek, but the UK needs a much younger population to help support the top-heavy age pyramid we currently have. So more children - within reason - would be a good thing. Euthanasia or a major uncontrolled pandemic are alternative options.....
              There are plenty younger people on the planet ... it's just that certain parts of our society think only 'our' children are of value, and not 'others' children

The planet is full. We don't need more humans. What we need is less borders and less hatred.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
                ugly people who can't get a partner?
                I see you covered the personally important stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  People have been saying "it'll be here in 10 years' since the 1950s though. I would agree we're finally at the point where AI/ML can genuinely start to make this feasible - it's really quite incredible some of the stuff that's now being done and the speed it's moving at.
                  That is the problem unless we embrace it and lead on it we will be left behind.

We are a high cost country the reason we don't completely lose out is we still have expertise at the top end , when we automate we can expand that lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                    The planet is full. We don't need more humans. What we need is less borders and less hatred.
                    It isn't. I personally think it is far too crowded to the point of unpleasantness but the "overpopulation" argument is fairly flimsy.

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

There are plenty younger people on the planet ... it's just that certain parts of our society think only 'our' children are of value, and not 'others' children

Oh do you think that? How sad!

I love the way you and WTFH try and think for me its so cute.

Most sensible people see that all countries are essentially in competition to get their population to the highest quality of life they can manage. Some countries only include their leaders in the improvement plan these are the countries we see most migrants from.

The reality is as competitors it all falls down when you look at how we are going to pay for it. We need to make money and spend it efficiently so everyone in the UK can enjoy a decent lifestyle. Letting large corporations strip tax by giving them subsidised workers is not a good plan, giving them workers they can abuse is not a good plan.

Can you suggest a good plan?

Comment

Working...
                      X