• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sky broadband any good?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    I'll be using my own Asus router.
    Which model, as it might not be as good as the one supplied.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I've used Sky in the past, and it was fine.

For business broadband, if you need things like fixed IP etc, you might want to look at Sky Connect. It's their new small business offering and the pricing was quite good when I looked earlier this year. The website does ask an odd question about home installation which, when I spoke to the very nice people in the call centre, was really to discourage residential users rather than small businesses operating from home.

I didn't go with them because I discovered the stitch up I'd agreed to with BT meant the exit fees would have wiped out the cost saving.

There were also two extra things that weren't made clear by the Sky Connect sales team that are worth considering:
      • If you have a digital phone line with BT, you will need to buy a new phone to use the Sky Connect phone line because apparently BT use something special. I never got to the bottom of this; BT send out a fairly simple YeaLink phone that doesn't look all that special to me and I'm fairly sure I could have used it.
      • And, the router (switch? thing?) they send you for the digital phones is HUGE! It's like a 20 port thing that's designed for a proper office with a comms cabinet, which I know some of you have but I don't.
      If you don't intend to use the phone line then the above two points are irrelevant but, having lived in a basement for years with negligible mobile signal, I'm still a landline user.

Comment

Check that Sky can provide at 143, they promised that to me, postcode checker says it's not available though, confirmed with Sky contact centre. Currently with Virgin 363Mb for £33, but will be using an old 5g phone at the next change, 450 - 752Mb for £18

Comment

All the main providers are much of a muchness except for customer support really.
          Have you checked BT/PlusNet aren't doing similar offers especially if you tell them Sky's?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Which model, as it might not be as good as the one supplied.
            I have have the DSL AC68U which has been great though the 2.4ghz has frequent issues nowadays. I am considering the RT AX68U but not pleased for lack of Tri-Band

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
            Check that Sky can provide at 143, they promised that to me, postcode checker says it's not available though, confirmed with Sky contact centre. Currently with Virgin 363Mb for £33, but will be using an old 5g phone at the next change, 450 - 752Mb for £18
            They confirmed 150mb on the phone and would replacing the copper line with fibre achieve that speed.

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            All the main providers are much of a muchness except for customer support really.
            Have you checked BT/PlusNet aren't doing similar offers especially if you tell them Sky's?

I have always found BT to be inflexible at giving large discounts. As I was replying to this thread, I got a call from Plusnet retentions and told them what sky was offering. They said that's a cracking deal if sky Offers £21.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            That said are you sure about the costs if you drop the TV element? I thought that's where their bread and butter was and just broadband can be a little expensive, particularly when you include setup?
            I did ask the chap a couple of times to make sure we both understood what he was saying. His words were as long as I drop the TV packages (which i dont need anyway) within 31 days of contract, I will only have to pay £21pm for the ultrafast broadband. I'll be cancelling it well ahead of that time limit

​​​​​​​

Comment

Seems a good deal. If it's OpenReach fibre to the house being installed (not some private 3rd party) then you should always be able to change to another provider later on.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
                It's all Openreach with, I think, the exception of Virgin (which I can't get). So your actual broadband service is going to be the same regardless of who you go with, but you are going to get a different router, and customer service varies according to company etc. I actually find Sky one of the better companies to deal with as far as customer service goes, and BT the very worst. That said, I flip between BT and Sky every 2 years because they offer new customer deals that are far better than their existing customer deals. Annoying but it saves a fair bit of dosh.
                Openreach will provide the last mile of cable.
                But there are LLU (local loop unbundled) providers who have their own DSLAMs in the local exchange. So Openreach only provide the copper.

FTTC/FTTP services are different but I know less about them so cannot comment much. Although Talktalk/Sky claim to offer over 100Mbps so that suggests they can now offer LLU FTTC services.

This is the authoritative source for availability.
                https://availability.samknows.com/br...r?address=true

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

Openreach will provide the last mile of cable.
                  But there are LLU (local loop unbundled) providers who have their own DSLAMs in the local exchange. So Openreach only provide the copper.

FTTC/FTTP services are different but I know less about them so cannot comment much. Although Talktalk/Sky claim to offer over 100Mbps so that suggests they can now offer LLU FTTC services.

This is the authoritative source for availability.
                  https://availability.samknows.com/br...r?address=true
                  Wouldn't say it's authoritative as it claims that I can get FTTP from BT.

And I know we aren't due to get that until 2025 at the earliest....

Not that it matters as I have a 350mb virgin line until the 1gb youfibre arrives in the near future.
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Get FTTP directly from BT - some of the wanna be resellers won't have as much capacity, so some like Sky don't (or did not recently at least) offer 920 Mbit tier.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Wouldn't say it's authoritative as it claims that I can get FTTP from BT.

And I know we aren't due to get that until 2025 at the earliest....

Not that it matters as I have a 350mb virgin line until the 1gb youfibre arrives in the near future.
                      I think it means the exchange is enabled.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X