• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Electric car

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richy_rich View Post
    Has anyone bought a brand new electric car through their Ltd Co.? 100% capital allowance apparently which makes it tempting? Kia will give you 7 yr warranty on batteries.
    Yes, with the advice of my accountant ,although you could lease it too but I think you don't get the capital allowance. Expense the insurance and maintenance also e.g. tyres, charging point etc.

Comment

Originally posted by LoanCharged View Post
      Yes, with the advice of my accountant ,although you could lease it too but I think you don't get the capital allowance. Expense the insurance and maintenance also e.g. tyres, charging point etc.
      The company has to buy it and then gets 100% CTAX relief on the purchase price in year 1 although CTAX is then due on a future sale. But as I may have a big profit this year its something to look into as a way of bringing the tax liability down Trouble is I don't want a smart meter (solar PV and so forth attached) and I'm sure installing a charging point will require one. Any one got both a smart meter and dumb meter for cross checking the figures? Or what about a separate supply for the charging point?

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

The company has to buy it and then gets 100% CTAX relief on the purchase price in year 1 although CTAX is then due on a future sale. But as I may have a big profit this year its something to look into as a way of bringing the tax liability down Trouble is I don't want a smart meter (solar PV and so forth attached) and I'm sure installing a charging point will require one. Any one got both a smart meter and dumb meter for cross checking the figures? Or what about a separate supply for the charging point?
        You can take readings off smart meters and submit them yourself, it's the same as going out to the unit and reading the dials.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Why would having an EV charging point installed by a local electrician require your supplier to be involved fitting a new meter? Is this actually a requirement?
          One could surely fit a charger themselves if comfortable with home DIY electrics.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Why would having an EV charging point installed by a local electrician require your supplier to be involved fitting a new meter? Is this actually a requirement?
            One could surely fit a charger themselves if comfortable with home DIY electrics.
            Its a new circuit so notifiable?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post

No requirement of a smart meter was mentioned when I had mine fitted late last year. The fitting of the external charging point is much akin to fitting an outdoor socket but better left to the supply company as the electrician will give you a certificate of installation. If your consumer unit cant cope and they have to fit a new one then again , the electricians trade scheme will provide the Buildings Regulation Certificate of Compliance.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I believe its only a new circuit if they have to fit a new consumer unit because your existing one doesn't have the spare RCD compatible slots.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

If you do it as a new circuit
                  But either way I can find no indication you must have a smart meter for an EV charger. However, if you want an EV-friendly tariff then your supplier might require an eco7 meter fitted and they may say "we only fit smart meters now".
                  We managed to get an eco7 one fitted (for EPC reasons) and requested a 'dumb' one but this was a few years ago. People who fear their usage data being known may choose to look online how to stop their smart meter reporting, I suppose. Obviously we wouldn't endorse that.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                  X