• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should they stay or should they go now?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should they stay or should they go now?

Originally posted by BBC News
    Scotland's first minister has proposed 19 October 2023 as the date for another referendum on independence.

Nicola Sturgeon said the question would be the same as in the last referendum in 2014: "Should Scotland be an independent country?".

Ms Sturgeon said had written to Prime Minister Boris Johnson to ask for formal consent for the vote to be held.

She said she would press on with her plan if this was not granted by the UK government.

But she stressed that any referendum would need to be "indisputably lawful" and constitutional - with the Supreme Court being asked to rule on the potential legal issues around holding a vote without UK government approval.

The UK government said it would examine the first minister's proposals, but stressed that its position that "now is not the time" for another referendum had not changed. It has also said that it is "clear" that the constitution is reserved to Westminster.
    What was that quote to Boris? "For the love of God, go!"
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

no problems if they fund it and we keep an interest in everything we developed for them.

We can get deep fried mars bars & Irn Bru round here now!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If Boris Johnson goes there is a chance of them staying.

​​​​​​
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        If Boris Johnson goes there is a chance of them staying.

​​​​​​
        Rubbish. Scotland was electing a vast majority of SNP Westminster MP's and voting in SNP Scottish Parliaments since long before BloJo was in charge.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

It's such a weird situation: england consider Scotland such a pain in the arse, a country full of debt and problems, and yet they can't face the thought of letting us go and be without us.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
            It's such a weird situation: england consider Scotland such a pain in the arse, a country full of debt and problems, and yet they can't face the thought of letting us go and be without us.
            Or perhaps England are smart enough to see the utter ruin Wee Burnie's plans will inflict on Scotland?
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

and yet they can't face the thought of letting us go and be without us.
              Where do you get that impression from? The unionists think union is better, but that's not everyone.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I think Scotland has been let down by the SNP but due to the utter tulipeness of the other parties, the SNP keep getting elected.

I have no issue with Scotland going for independence if that's what they truly want but it seems to me the SNP are selling a silk purse but will only be able to deliver a sow's ear.

I would much prefer the union to remain intact with increased integration of some key services. Having fallen ill in Glasgow last year and ended up in QEUH A&E, it took 6 weeks to get hold of a printed copy of the tests so I could pass them onto my GP and be referred for follow ups. If there was better joining up of NHS services, that data could have been directly transferred to my GP same/next day. I expect there's a myriad of things like that which the union could, and should, do better that will benefit us all.

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post

Rubbish. Scotland was electing a vast majority of SNP Westminster MP's and voting in SNP Scottish Parliaments since long before BloJo was in charge.
                  I agree. Boris is just the latest target for the SNP to bitch about as it's always easier to blame Westminster than it is to look at the local reasons for their issues.

The only way the SNP could claim that any government isn't trying to stitch up Scotland on a daily basis is by getting an SNP-led government into Westminster. Why they don't field more candidates in England, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Or perhaps England are smart enough to see the utter ruin Wee Burnie's plans will inflict on Scotland?
                    Would be interesting to see what the english would think if the situation was the opposite: Scotland wanting to keep the union and england wanting to leave....

Comment

Working...
                    X