• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No more English Lit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Why's that?
    [RANT]

I don't like the rigidity of the course selection - I get that you need to pick from courses around a topic, that's not what I mean. I knew I didn't want to do a 60 point course in the last academic year so I picked a 30 point from the options available for the line of study I'm on. That meant I was blocked from picking any 60 point courses this year because of my "unique", "non-standard" study approach. I have spent three weeks trying to find out why I can't select a 60 point course to start in October and it's basically because the website is coded to a set process and isn't flexible enough to accommodate people who know what time they have available. For me to get onto the 60 point course I want to do, I have to phone up and explain why I didn't do the 60 points last academic year and so didn't follow their notions of what an acceptable course order is.

I hate reading everything on a website or PDF and bemoan the removal of physical books with a decent index. The websites have a dire search method which rarely returns what I need to find whereas a well written index in a book allows for very quick searching for salient information. I spend all day starting at a PC, I want to read a book. They will allow you to pay extra for a printed copy of the materials but that is a printed copy of the webpages, no index. It took me two weeks to get a straight answer to that question as the course team didn't understand that a printout of the website copy is not a book and why should I pay extra for something that is included in the course fee.

Finally, since they moved all engagement online (years before covid came along) they put the prices up and whilst technically still cheaper than studying at a traditional university, the overall service offering and experience is poor value for money.

[/RANT]

Comment

Well, OU just went down in my estimation. I had heard only good things about it.

Comment

ladymuck the reason they put the prices up is because the government reduced funding for the OU and allowed students to get loans to pay for the course modules in England. The last vice chancellor of the OU got chased out of the job because of how he implemented government policy.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...-no-confidence
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          ladymuck the reason they put the prices up is because the government reduced funding for the OU and allowed students to get loans to pay for the course modules in England. The last vice chancellor of the OU got chased out of the job because of how he implemented government policy.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...-no-confidence
          I don't have an issue with prices going up but I don't expect a degradation in service as a result. The overall offering is very poor compared to when I first started studying with them.

I remember the days of monthly in-person tutorials, books, science kits, week-long summer camps (at an extra but not unreasonable charge). I know that times move on and online brings the opportunity for efficiency, blended learning, and reaching a wider audience but I feel they have gotten the balance wrong. When you're struggling to understand something and don't know how to ask the question, being forced to type it into a chat box on an online tutorial or online forum is hard work compared to having a chat with the tutor at the monthly meetup.

They are literally becoming a "computer says no" outfit because they have trimmed back the people and replaced them with technology.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Well, OU just went down in my estimation. I had heard only good things about it.
            It used to be excellent. Now it's just another commercial distance learning company.

Comment

I was pretty unimpressed when I looked at the OU offerings a couple of years ago, not a patch on the courses of yore.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

It used to be excellent. Now it's just another commercial distance learning company.
                My daughter dropped out of high school, and after a few jobs did an OU German and French BA course, graduating four years ago. She enjoyed - and it put her in a great stead when her teacher training college went online due to Covid.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

And yet they still make our kids do it for GCSE

16yr old has just done his and he absolutely hated English Lit, and I had exactly the same experience several decades ago

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Agreed and with your 'rant' (BTW admin could we have a 'special' font for /RANT please?).

I started in 2009 and I was blown away quite honestly with the materials and the F2F tutorials. Then they started downgrading everything including content. They took away the level 3 Latin course which after completing you could read original Virgil, because some students said it was too hard!! That was the best 12 months of my OU life. Then they came up with a revisionist course on the Roman Empire that taught that when the Barbarian invasions started in the late empire that the settlements in Gaul built walls because they looked pretty?????

The Masters was good and made my head hurt in a good way, but I had to fight hard to do what I wanted for the dissertation.
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

My daughter dropped out of high school, and after a few jobs did an OU German and French BA course, graduating four years ago. She enjoyed - and it put her in a great stead when her teacher training college went online due to Covid.
                      Maybe languages are better than the sciences? I'm glad she had a good experience, and maybe the online thing is more generational and I'm just behind the times

Comment

Working...
                      X