• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No more English Lit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I use my university qualifications in my current role?
    No
    Have I used the qualifications in any role in the last 25 years?
    No
    Have I used the principles that I learned at university in my roles?
    Yes
    Could I have had a successful career without going to uni?
    Probably
    Could I have got to where I am today without going to uni?
    Probably not
    Could I have got to where I am today by sticking to a career based on what I studied?
    Possibly not
    Do I regret going to uni?
    No
    (but I went to university in the days before fees, and that could make a big difference to the answers for a younger person)
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Not if they use their time at university wisely e.g. networking and gaining other skills.
      apprenticeships are being placed to offer an alternative to University and it will come.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Do I use my university qualifications in my current role?
        No
        Have I used the qualifications in any role in the last 25 years?
        No
        Have I used the principles that I learned at university in my roles?
        Yes
        Could I have had a successful career without going to uni?
        Probably
        Could I have got to where I am today without going to uni?
        Probably not
        Could I have got to where I am today by sticking to a career based on what I studied?
        Possibly not
        Do I regret going to uni?
        No
        (but I went to university in the days before fees, and that could make a big difference to the answers for a younger person)
        I went to a tech and my answers are much the same as yours.

Electronics went a bit flat but telecoms & computing made up for it as I cross trained.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I went to a tech and my answers are much the same as yours.

Electronics went a bit flat
          That's cause you studied in the days of valves, before PCBs and chips.

…Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

That's cause you studied in the days of valves, before PCBs and chips.
            I'm not that flaming old - H&H didn't have a valve chapter .

Fixing valves was like being on "Take me out" it was mostly a case of "No likey No Lighty" but that frequently meant a psu problem not a valve issue.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              English is hardly an unemployable degree from a decent uni - is Hallam more of a vocationally focused institution?
              Was a mix of traditional subjects, English, law, history, medicine, farty stuff, film studies, pant pot making, arty stuff etc, Tech stuff: Engineering, IT, when I went there in the mid 90's.
              The management of the place always seemed a bit crap to me.
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

OK you're absolutely right Ruth. Everyone, regardless of academic aptitude should spend tens of thousands of pounds and 3 years of their studying a degree they have no interest in so they can gain some 'other skills' and network with a load of similarly disinterested people. This will clearly stand them in good stead for a high-flying career.

If you just want to gain employability skills and build a network, don't look for it as a side-effect of degree you don't want. Get a job (or several jobs) over 3 years and be involved with some local business/charity/sports groups in your spare time. The former will teach you far more useful skills (the best way to learn X is to do X) and the latter will put you in touch with a much wider cross-section of people who may be valuable contacts one day. Lots of the real movers and shakers "make s*** happen" people I know are involved in grassroots community or philanthropy projects and those are people you want to know who you are.

You do know you are are talking about 18 year olds who know SFA, who have parents who know SFA, are surrounded by a social circle full of people who know SFA and come from schools who push their former pupils into doing degrees?

I hope you are more ruthless with the young people you know, like I am, and make them think why they are actually going to university.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

And what is wrong with getting a degree to just get a degree?

Plenty of people aren't using the degrees they have in their work.
                  When I did my degree that was certainly the case. However, only 13% of the population went to university then, so of itself it helped you get a job. With 40% going (or whatever the current figure is), that's just not the case any more.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

When I did my degree that was certainly the case. However, only 13% of the population went to university then, so of itself it helped you get a job. With 40% going (or whatever the current figure is), that's just not the case any more.
                    Problem is - and some younger people pointed it out to me - if you don't have a degree you aren't even considered by most employers.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

As with most things, it depends. If you get a humanities degree from Cambridge, Oxford, LSE or others at the top of the Russell Group, you are probably going to get a decent job via graduate recruitment. If you get one from an average or poorly ranking university/ex-poly, not so much (statistically speaking, of course - you will always get successful people, regardless of their education).

Comment

Working...
                      X