• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No more English Lit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I went to a tech and my answers are much the same as yours.

Electronics went a bit flat but telecoms & computing made up for it as I cross trained.
    Ah, flat electronics. The best kind. That electronics with the flexible bendy pcbs is best avoided.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

That's cause you studied in the days of valves, before PCBs and chips.

Ah, the dear dead days beyond recall when you could draw an arc off the top cap of a PL504 (or PL36) without blowing everything to shreds.

I'm not that flaming old - H&H didn't have a valve chapter .

Fixing valves was like being on "Take me out" it was mostly a case of "No likey No Lighty" but that frequently meant a psu problem not a valve issue.
    Testing for line output operation with the trusty neon screwdriver: it lit up if the line timebase was going.

It also lit up if the chassis was live, as I well remember.

Originally posted by customer after DrS switched off at the mains socket only to find the set was still live
    That socket was installed properly Mr
    No doubt as indicated by the professional use of bellwire so to do. .

If only I'd known then what I know now I'd still be poor.

And I'd have avoided wasting 2 years of my life in Luffbra, even if it was the first time I used a computer.

I wonder if that chap ever got his "cross compiler" to compile on the ICL 1900 mainframe.

I do miss a functioning multiquote facility, it did make things a bit easier, like. .

In other news, I have no idea what I "studied" for GCE "O" level English Lit since it was 53 years ago.

I have vague recollections of The Merchant of Venice, some poetry about potato clamps, and that's about it.

I got a 6, which is just short of a fail. (it went from 1 to 9 in those dim & distant days, with 1 being good & 9 being abysmal. I got a 9 in history cause I didn't like the teacher).
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 29 June 2022, 12:11.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I never went to university and for all my tinkering with The Open University, I still don't have a degree.

I will never know if that has made a material difference to my life.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Problem is - and some younger people pointed it out to me - if you don't have a degree you aren't even considered by most employers.
        So get a masters.

I went to a tech
        Well that explains a lot.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I never went to university and for all my tinkering with The Open University, I still don't have a degree.

I've met you. If you wanted a degree you'd have got one. I've a BSc. I've proofread PhDs. Seriously, most of the time it's just "more" and in ever narrower categories. It's seldoming anything requiring intellectual rigour. One exception was proofread a masters concerning the hydrodynamics of exploding stars.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

I've met you.
            I've already apologised for that and I'm still not going to pay for your therapy.

Comment

So get a masters.
              Bit hard to go straight into a postgraduate Masters degree if you are under 25 and have no life experience.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Well that explains a lot.

always nice to meet a stuck up degree twit!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I've met you. If you wanted a degree you'd have got one. I've a BSc. I've proofread PhDs. Seriously, most of the time it's just "more" and in ever narrower categories. It's seldoming anything requiring intellectual rigour. One exception was proofread a masters concerning the hydrodynamics of exploding stars.
                  A PhD is a like a driving test, it aims to prepare you, in this case for a career in research, a postdoc even more. The quality of PhDs is about as variable as the quality of anything else but, sure, a PhD often involves significant intellectual rigour, since the basic test is whether it contributes something original. The subject matter is pretty irrelevant to that standard. There are poor maths and physics PhDs, just as there are poor PhDs in any other subject area, although you'd hope those students are binned after their first year (in reality, they still slip through).

People who do PhDs need some minimal level of intelligence and commitment but, beyond that, you don't need to be a special intellect. In fact, a majority of the more brilliant undergrad or masters students that I taught did not choose to do a PhD, which may not be that surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

30 years ago I used to get "oh you don't have a degree" now I get "We are really interested in your experience" I'm sure you get the same.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Bit hard to go straight into a postgraduate Masters degree if you are under 25 and have no life experience.
                      Really? I thought it was standard practice to do a masters immediately after your bachelors. It certainly is in continental Europe and was the case when I graduated... I guess things have changed.

always nice to meet a stuck up degree twit!
                      I do my best.

Comment

Working...
                      X