• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No more English Lit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more English Lit

Some universities are being forced to cut courses.

What is the purpose of going to university?

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...degree-3746409
    Mary Peace, a senior lecturer in English Literature at the university, revealed the decision on Twitter on Saturday with a post that read: "English lit degree at Sheffield Hallam is being “suspended.” University responding to Government who will no longer fund degrees where 60% students don’t end up in “highly skilled” jobs within 6 months."

Mr Graham, whose latest drama Sherwood is currently showing on BBC One to critical acclaim, said that the loss of arts and humanities degrees on the basis of new funding rules could prevent a new generation of writers emerging.

Mary Peace, a senior lecturer in English Literature at the university, revealed the decision on Twitter on Saturday with a post that read: "English lit degree at Sheffield Hallam is being “suspended.” University responding to Government who will no longer fund degrees where 60% students don’t end up in “highly skilled” jobs within 6 months."

Mr Graham, whose latest drama Sherwood is currently showing on BBC One to critical acclaim, said that the loss of arts and humanities degrees on the basis of new funding rules could prevent a new generation of writers emerging.

Last edited by SueEllen; 27 June 2022, 11:16.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

bit of a crude measure but better than having very well qualified unemployable degree holders?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Lots of my Esteemed Customers seemed to end up back in the curry house.

I wonder if that counts as "highly paid".

Looking at the local level of wages I doubt that any of it counts as "highly paid".
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        Lots of my Esteemed Customers seemed to end up back in the curry house.

I wonder if that counts as "highly paid".

Looking at the local level of wages I doubt that any of it counts as "highly paid".
        Depends if they end up being the joint owner of it.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          bit of a crude measure but better than having very well qualified unemployable degree holders?
          If they are unemployed they are lazy sods.

They should be spending their time between studying doing the other things that are available when you are student to get more employable.

In addition there are companies and organisations that take people with any degree.

Comment

Well it is Sheffield Hallam University.
            I probably shouldn't slag off my alma mater too much but from what I saw they often made some strange decisions.
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

If they are unemployed they are lazy sods.

They should be spending their time between studying doing the other things that are available when you are student to get more employable.

In addition there are companies and organisations that take people with any degree.
              can't argue with results.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Many of these universities that require a suffix to distinguish themselves from their more illustrious peers (e.g. Hallam, Trent, Metropolitan) seem to exist more to provide 'highly skilled' jobs for their staff than to provide opportunities for their students.

Maybe a compromise would be to condense degrees such as English literature into two years or 18 months.
                Last edited by TheDude; 27 June 2022, 13:21.

Comment

I dropped out of English Lit A-Level because it was so tediously boring. I couldn't imagine having to do that for three years.

Psychology was much more fun and actually complimented the Human Biology A-Level rather well.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                    I dropped out of English Lit A-Level because it was so tediously boring. I couldn't imagine having to do that for three years.
                    I never understood how analysing a book to death would be fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X