• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Doom Two down. Is it bye Boris?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    If people CHOOSE themselves to vote for say "lesser of two evils" and vote tactically then it's one thing, but parties standing down candidates isn't fecking ok at all.
    First off, as SueEllen said, Labour and LibDems didn't stand down their candidates. However, suppose that your claim had been accurate; are you saying that every party is obliged to put a candidate in every constituency?

Looking at the Wikipedia page for the 2019 General Election, none of the parties put up candidates for all 650 seats:
    2019 United Kingdom general election - Wikipedia
    E.g. the Brexit party contested 276 seats, and Change UK contested 3 seats. Is that collusion? Or just choosing where to allocate resources?

Comment

It's a clear case of collusion because no way without it they would have done opposite things, say if LibDems decided to focus all resources on one most likely to win seat thus giving up the other, then Labour would have already banked +1 and would have no reason why not try to get to +2.

Clear collusion here, but is it actually illegal under existing laws? Seems to be that it SHOULD BE, but is it? I get the feeling it isn't, but this sort of bulltulip must be breaking some laws for sure.

Pensioners get jailed for non-payment of BBC tax, but nobody blinks an eye at this sort of electroral fraud.
      No it is not.

The only collusion is between the Green party and the Lib Dems, and only in specific constituencies. They are both open when they do this.

Labour and the Lib Dems have money issues, so they are picking the seats they target with care. So while it would make sense due to distance for some of the Lib Dem MPs, councilors and party members to have targeted Wakefield, due to the money involved to gain a constituency it doesn't make financial sense.

If you ever give a political party money you want them to spend it wisely by campaigning heavily in the seats they are likely to win, and that's what all parties do.
      Last edited by SueEllen; 25 June 2022, 12:13.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

This is how he will get a third term. Idiot doesn't realise in the money in people's pockets that counts.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...back-red-wall/

Boris Johnson will risk fresh allegations that he is breaking international law this week as he imposes sweeping new steel tariffs as part of an effort to win back support in Red Wall seats.
        The Prime Minister is preparing to hit several developing countries with new “safeguard” import limits designed to protect UK manufacturers from a “flood of cheap steel” from overseas.

At the same time, ministers will announce a two-year extension of steel tariffs already imposed on developed countries and China.

The moves, being finalised for an announcement this week, will expose Mr Johnson to allegations that he is breaching World Trade Organisation rules in order to protect the British steel industry.

They are the changes cited by Lord Geidt, the Prime Minister’s former ethics adviser, when he quit earlier this month and said he was put in an “odious position” of being asked to “license” a breach of the ministerial code, which requires ministers to abide by international law.

Comment

It's shocking really - two major parties collude to manipulate electroral process, how is that not illegal?

If people CHOOSE themselves to vote for say "lesser of two evils" and vote tactically then it's one thing, but parties standing down candidates isn't fecking ok at all.

This tulip is obviously due to idiotic FPTP system still used in this country.
          Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The two main opposition parties didn't collude and didn't stand down their candidates.

Lib Dems decided not to leaflet and not have prominent MPs visit Wakefield, and vice versa for Labour in Tiverton and Honiton.

They both decided it was worth winning one seat, and losing their deposit in the other area.

Interestingly the Tories seemed to not send prominent MPs out and about in both areas to meet the public. Boris Johnson hid on a farm in a visit Tiverton and Honiton whilst didn't go to Wakefield.

​​​​​
          There was no manipulation/collusion. There was a Labour candidate for Tiverton & Honiton (Liz Pole), there were some leaflets from them as well. There were other candidates too - Greens, Heritage Party, Reform Party, etc. They all put out fewer leaflets than Labour.
          The only party to knock on our front door and talk to us was the LibDems. Speaking to others in the area, they were the only party to knock on the doors in rural communities in East Devon.
          The Tories put out a lot of negative publicity, and many of their leaflets did not even name their candidate. None of their leaflets mentioned Boris.
          The LibDem leaflets talked about how they were the only party to realistically beat the Tories in this very safe Tory seat, but there was never anything from other parties saying “vote LibDem”. They were all pushing their policies.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

WTFH AtW won't believe you even though during the 2019 GE similar happened in my area and a few other constituencies. The only difference was Boris Johnson wasn't a liability then.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

There was no manipulation/collusion.
              Of course not. Labour just had a shocker by complete coincidence.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I blame all those chinese door bell cameras and electronic thermostats altering the votes.

It's all a communist conspiracy, I tell you.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

And another resignation.

Who? Exactly.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...elf-and-others

The Conservative deputy chief whip has resigned after admitting he has “embarrassed myself and other people”.

In a letter to the prime minister Chris Pincher said: “Last night I drank far too much. I’ve embarrassed myself and other people which is the last thing I want to do and for that I apologise to you and to those concerned.

“I think the right thing to do in the circumstances is for me to resign as deputy chief whip. I owe it to you and the people I’ve caused upset to, to do this.”

Comment

Ahh all is revealed - he's a groper of men.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...elf-and-others

The Conservative deputy chief whip has resigned after admitting he had “embarrassed myself and other people” following reports that he drunkenly groped two men at a private club.

Chris Pincher wrote to Boris Johnson saying he was standing down after drinking too much. However, he did not address the allegations that he was reported to the whips by Conservative MPs who had witnessed his behaviour towards two men at the Carlton Club in Piccadilly.

It is the latest in a series of allegations of sexual misconduct by Tory MPs and will put further pressure on Boris Johnson to clean up the culture in Westminster. It is also the second time that Pincher has resigned from the whips’ office following allegations made against him, raising questions about Johnson’s judgment in promoting him to a role in charge of MP discipline and pastoral affairs.

Comment

I at first wondered what the fuss was about - it's a rare person who hasn't had too much to drink and been an idiot but to go around getting handsy with people unbidden is definitely not on.

What I'm concerned about is that there seems to be a sentiment that "he apologised and resigned so no further action needed". Now I suspect if he'd groped a woman, there would definitely be further enquiries and a huge outcry. I really hope I'm wrong as it totally sends the very wrong message that men cannot be victims of sexual assault.

Comment

Working...
                      X