• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Sterling

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
    google average software developer pay US, returns numbers like 100K to 125K

google same for UK, returns numbers like 40K to 55K

3K after tax, or about double the minimum wage after tax.

Do experienced permies still work for that kind of money in the UK?
    Experienced doesn't mean competent.

There are loads of crap developers out there working for this sort of money.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Experienced doesn't mean competent.

There are loads of crap developers out there working for this sort of money.

But do the crap developers earn $100K in the US, which is now almost 100K GBP.

Ok, maybe not 100K, but probably 80K.

If we go to parity, permie US IT pay will be double UK pay.

Even worse after tax.

Crap 80K US developer take home: $5,630
      Crap 40K UK developer take home: £2,573
      Last edited by Fraidycat; 26 September 2022, 12:35.

Comment

Americans, fly to England and head to a Wetherspoons where you'll be able to get a pint of Guinness, burger and chips, and a gram of coke for under 60 bucks. Depending on the Wetherspoons, might event be able to get change from a fifty according to Nomura.

Comment

https://twitter.com/BruceReuters/sta...PGLYVMkVw&s=19

So...this is going well

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
            Great - safe asset with great yields is perfect for them pensioners

HTH

ventran

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

But do the crap developers earn $100K in the US, which is now almost 100K GBP.

Ok, maybe not 100K, but probably 80K.

If we go to parity, permie US IT pay will be double UK pay.

Even worse after tax.

Crap 80K US developer take home: $5,630
              Crap 40K UK developer take home: £2,573
              What US developers Surely global employers will prefer to pay 50K in the UK than 100K in the US

Comment

In my experience, $100k+ is pretty common for a bog-standard (employed) dev in the US. Wages are generally just much higher in the US, as you can see from any wage stats, but their productivity is, on average, much higher too (and hence GDP per capita).

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  In my experience, $100k+ is pretty common for a bog-standard (employed) dev in the US. Wages are generally just much higher in the US, as you can see from any wage stats, but their productivity is, on average, much higher too (and hence GDP per capita).
                  How are they more productive with all that arse kissing in meetings?
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Who knows, but the economy-wide stats suggest they are (workers in general, I mean, I don't know about software devs). Better technology, better education, better training, more productive working environment/practices (in other words, all the usual things that contribute to productivity), I suppose, although work-life balance can be a bit crap state side.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I do remember when some friends were seconded to the USA in the aero industry (software) they had to do 42 hrs to match the natives 37 hrs in terms of output.
                      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                      X